Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to change string in bom

mkumar185

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to change _ with - in part names of bom.

Part names are like xxx_xx_xxx_x. My repeat region is calling asm.mbr.name so these names are called thr. I want to change them to xxx-xx-xxx-x.

please, can any one guide me what relations i can use?

SECOND QS:

i have 2 arrangements in assembly. 1 is generic and 2nd is instance. partD1 is shown in arrangement 1 and part d2 is shown only in arrangement 2(d2 suppressed in arr 1).

while using repeat region, i am using Arrangement 1 for report and its now showing me D2 in bom. is thr any way i can show D2 IN bom?

please help me.

i can answer you question one.

I don't know any relations you can insert to change the name of the part from _ to -.
The only way I know is to take the initial part that is in the bom and rename it.
Another possibility is that you fill the field name manually and not with the string asm.mbr.name

Best regards

For the first question, you can create a parameter that contains the part number that you want and put that into the repeat region instead of the model name.

Let me know if you need further info on how to do this.

@proehelp and @dross,

first of all thanks for your reply.

parts are released . so i cant do anything with them.i cant even insert parameter in that.i know one relation buti havewrite 30 times for 30 parts. so i am looking for one relation which can go in part name, read it, modified it and return correct value back.

i know last option to change manually like notepad for all parts. but i am trying to get something if i can.

If your scheme is consistant, you should be able to use a relation (albeit a bit lengthy) to convert your parameter.

E.G.

NEW_PN=extract(asm.mbr.name,1,3)+"-"+extract(asm.mbr.name,5, 2)+"-"+extract(asm.mbr.name,8,3)+"-"+extract(asm.mbr.name,12 ,1)

The sytax might not be exactly correct as I did not try it out, but hopefully this will get you going in the right direction.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

elab.theken that is a good solution.

mkumar185, be sure to verify if his solution worked so other people can reference and benefit from it.

mkumar185, I do not understand what you are trying to do in yoursecond question. Could you try rephrasing it?
Edited by: LOOregano

@elab.thekan, i will try to this tech and will reply
soonwith myans.

@LOOregano,

i have 2 arrangements in assembly(A1-right hand AND
A2- left hand).

in A1, part d1 is shown and part d2( instance of d1) is
supressed.

in A2, part d2 is shown and part d1 is supressed.

while generating bom, ifi use A1thenit
wontshowme&n bsp;part d2 in bomas its supressed.
if i use A2 togenerate bom then iwont get
part d1 in bom.

so how can i show supressedparts name in bom?

Instead of using the relations & surpressing the components,would what you desire be accomplished by adjustingthe component display on the dwg only?

Method:
1) Open up asm dwg
2) View: Drawing Display: Component display
3) Select "Blank" and then select the subassembly from the Model tree or select a member on the view.

This way you can manually select which components you want displayed on each view but they will still show up in the BOM. Does this get the same end result?

mkumar185 said:
@proehelp and @dross,

first of all thanks for your reply.

parts are released . so i cant do anything with them.i cant even insert parameter in that.i know one relation buti havewrite 30 times for 30 parts. so i am looking for one relation which can go in part name, read it, modified it and return correct value back.

i know last option to change manually like notepad for all parts. but i am trying to get something if i can.

If you can't add a parameter, how can you add a relation??

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back