Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

Horizontal modeling

jeff4136

I've seen a few discussion about this over the past year. For my money, it's just buzz words and BS. I simply can't believe they are applying for patents on a best practice. As far as I'm concerned it has the aroma of a scam.

dougr

The white paper sure doesn't give anything away.

Any modeling processes can be vertical or horizontal - it just depends on which way is chosen to lay out the process flow chart !!!

bem

The way I read it, dephi is building models where features are based on extraneous datums and not the part features. That way when a feature is changed the part does not fail.

The majority of their time savings was scrapping 2D cad for generation of process sheets & using their 3D master process models.

Maybe if they had been using pro/process instead of UG they wouldn't have made this remarkable discovery.

doctordremel

Hmmmmmm

I better get off my protrusion and patent my Diagonal, Transwarp Modeling and I Did It My Way Process Design before these folks discover it. I skimmed the article trying to find the kernal of what they have and it did'nt float my boat. One thing I DID notice instead of a great emphasise on rapid developemnt and sound stable parts, the primary benefits seems to be a Reduction of required personel oohhh THATS a benefit we all want to have our managers implement at the SOONEST opportunity.

DD

dr_gallup

CadCamNet just had an article on this:

http://www.cadcamnet.com/

Actually, many of their ideas have been in our SOP for using Pro/E for years. I don't see how they can get a patent on such generalized ideas or how they could prevent anyone from using them. I think the patents are still pending because my searches of the USPO have not turned up anything.

Brian_Adkins

These were just patent applications filed...

There are links to the patent applications on a thread on this topic from the PTC/User exploder a few months ago... You can search the archives for more info.

-Brian

Sponsor