Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Helical interpolation

batenceto

Hello everyone I want to pompitam if you somehow create a
helical interpolation using three axis trajectory milling?

regards
Batenceto

In a trajactectory sequence, the helical part(in this example)is controlled stricly thru parameters and "build cut" functionality. First, draw a circle that is the dia that you want to cut. For this example, let's say it's 2.0" and you are using a 1.0" dia cutter and you want to go .500 deep. After you draw your 2.0" circle, you need to fill inthe followingparameter values:

Clear_dist=.6 ( this is how far in Z your tool will travel, be sure to axis shift down .500. the .600 value will make you cutter start .100 above your workpiece)&n bsp;&n bsp;&n bsp;&n bsp; Pullout_dist=0 (we leave this value 0 to parform a final finish pass at the bottom of the hole) Lead_radius=.5 (2.0" circle dia minus 1.0" cutter diameter= 1.0 then divide by2 =.5) Tangent_lead_step=0 (this parameter is not used)& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp; Normanl_lead_step=.5 (this value must match the lead radius so the cutter will start in the center of the hole--also, this allows you to use cutter comp without erroring out)&n bsp;&n bsp; Approach_distance=0 (this value is not used)& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp; Exit_distance=0 (this value is not used)& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp;& nbsp; Entry_angle=4320 (this is your (clear_ditance.6/step depth.05=12)*360=4320 DO NOT FILL IN STEP DEPTH PAREMTER--THIS VALUE IS ONLY USEDFOR CALCULATING YOUR ENTRY ANGLE) Exit_angle=360 (this value controls how manypasses your cutter will make at the bottom of the hole. 360 =1 pass, 720=2 passes, 1080=3 passes, etc....with the pullout distance=0, the tool will not lift up)

After filling out your parameters, select Build Cut, Approach, Helical--pro e will ask you to "cretae a destination point"at this point you will have to select the start point of your circle, a red arrow will appear on your screen after selecting the point--if the direction looks correct--pick OKAY. At this point your helical lead in will appear on your screen. Now, we have to create a helical exit. Pick Buildcut, EXIT, HELICAL-- a red arrow will appear on your screen indicating which direction the exit will go. If the arrow direction looks correct, select okay-- now your Helical exit is complete and there should be a normal lead step that positions the cutter back to the center of the hole. Note--since our pullout distance is set to 0.0 and the exit_angle is 360, the cutter will perform 1 final pass at the bottom of the hole.

hope this helps, Paul

To mill a hole with helical trajectory milling is not a good option, rather you should use the surface milling, select the surface and select the helical milling option, this will do the same job as above.

Colleagues thank you for the advice but to me something is
not working. I use WF5 tried both ways but still will not
work. If some of you have any materials or video tutorials
on the topic I would appreciate it. Once again thank you
for your time.

regards

Colleague thank you very much for the file you sent me. It
is very understandable and I did a great job. Thanks again
and good luck.

Best regards

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World