Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Golf Ball

Marv

Hey guys,

First time post here. Ive been racking my brain all day trying to model a golf ball. Only difference in my case is I need bumps instead of dimples on the surface. I know the diameter of the main sphere (2.5466") i want and i know the smaller diameter (0.2") i want to use for the bumps. I just cant figure out how to evenly space/pattern along the spherical surface.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer and i'm hoping its easier then i'm making it out to be. A coworker told me he attend a class once where the teacher told them to do thissame thing and people popped them out pretty quick, except him of coarse!

Thanks again,

Marv

Hello

I am struggling with a similar problem, so I wonder if you would send it to me as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I'm also new to Pro/E and like the software's features, dimples or stems on the ball surface is up to designers to create features and adjust dims then put them there, here's aimage of my trying tomodel the golf ball as a myown sample.

View attachment 866

Hi Cello, Hrer's a file of golf ball, the same one display in the golf ball topic.

But again I'm sorry, after I'd compress (winzip) size still over limited.

hello damrong

I too was having the same problem of creating a pattern of this type

It u could send the part file it will be useful

or else you could send the snap shots of the pattern creating procedure

can u help me out

M.Arun Kumar

Damrong,

if you suppress some or all of teh features and then save it and complress the file it shuodl fit no problem!

if you can;t get it to work, e-mail ti to me @ [email protected] and I'll compresses it and post it for you!

James

Hi Guys

Would you mind giving us dorks a simple run down of what the basic principle is to get regularly patterned features onto a curved surface.

Guy

Marv my good man... all the other features are suppressed! simply set your model tree to show suppressed features and simply resume them!

Guy, Just got access to a web server today! was thinking of pestering (nicely of course!
smiley36.gif
) Puppet to create a patterning tutorial for the web site! if not I'll do one (wont be as good though!
smiley19.gif
)

the site should be up and running by mid next week!

anybody not knowing what I'm on about should read my signature below!

James

James.

How about a two sentence outline of the underlying principle in the meanwhile. Just to whet our appetites while the tutorial gets done.

Guy

Guy,

Well take that golf ball for example.. there are actually many many ways of doing it, the way it was done there probably wasn't the best way, but hey! it works!

I suppose it all depends on what you wanted to do but it will usually involve creating a composite curve which lies on the surface, some thought should be placed into the generation of this curve if it needs to be patterned a little later!

once you havethat curve, again it really depend on what you want to do, but if if say you wanted to revolve a sphere(say to make the dimples), what I'd probably do ispattern a point along the curve (maybe use a relation that would vary the number depending on the length of the curve or something along those lines...

then create a datum plane onthefirst point, and normal curve at that point, this then would be your sketching plane, I suppose then you 'dneed a reference plane (if it was the sphere for the golf ball, you could construct one that was parallel to the planar curve on surface) if it was not a sphere,you'd have to give it some more thought, butit would depend on your geometry..

then create your revolve, referencing only the point and reference plane.. say OK/done.. group the features from thefirst datum you created (after patterning the points)to the revolveand do a reference pattern of that group based on the points pattern

that should work.. but there are lots of ways to do it! that's just one of them! but again it works! and good news, puppet has agreed to do a video tutorial on something along these linesfor my site so it's looking good!
smiley4.gif

James

OK I got it. Thanks for the detailed outline.

Damrong

Is that how you did it more or less; or did you use a substantially different construct?

Guy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back