Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

four part helix?

Chicago0787

I am currently working on my senior project creating a roller coaster model. I first need to draw the coaster in solid works and i am having trouble with a part of it. the track is four 6" steel tubes that at one point go vertical while doing a complete 360 twist. I tried using the helix tool however it did not work the way i wanted. If anyone has any ideas that would be great! thank youView attachment 5886 this is what i am trying to do

Anthony,

Are you speaking of the trusses which go between the rails? I've tried a "curve-driven pattern", but It's not following the curves correctly. I'm not sure if you can do the support trusses using a single feature, as you need them to rotate and pattern. You can get it to rotate along a trajectory using sweep/guide curves/etc, but then it won't be a pattern.

You can, however, "pattern" points along your curves using the evenly populate option in Insert>reference geometry>point. Just select the curve, and the option will appear. With the points in place, they can be used as the nodesof your support trusses.

View attachment 5892

By the way, I created 4 centerlines in the rails by sweeping a square surface through my helix. The corners of the square created edges, which I converted to 3DSketch entities, and then I deleted the surface body.

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Have you tried making it with an extrude, making all the
cross members, and then flexing the whole model around an
axis 8ft from the centerline of the extrude?

Edit: It doesn't look as good.
Edited by: betasniper

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back