Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Flat pattern a deformed sheetmetal part?

robzillapop

WF4. Does anyone know if ProE is able to flatten a sheet metal part that has a deformation from a punch? When i create a flat pattern my standard flanges will flatten but the deformation stays in its oritinal state. The deformations is in the center of a sheet metal blank in the shape of an X. Kinda like a pyramid. (stamping).

Please help

I i were to just suppress the form then my flat pattern will not be correct. The form feature adds material and stretch to the part. A manual KSI calculation shows that if i suppress the form feature my blank is off around 5mm each direction.

There is a "flatten form" feature. It should be on the standard menu. However, this wouldn't produce a resulting flat pattern that is any different from suppressing the form.

ProE Sheetmetal doesn't have a good standard unbend calculator for non-normal bends (regular bends along an edge). There are "deform area" and "metamorph" features (part of the Unbend option) which allow you to basically "sketch" the predicted flat area, but this a trial and error process. BTW, I have had a lot of success in flattening problem parts by putting surfaces into a publish geometry feature and then creating another part by copying those surfaces and using "flatten quilt". This way the original part drives the copy. The copy "flat" part can then be given thickness by thickening the quilt.

There is no algorythym within Pro that accounts for stretching material.

You're better off using a 3rd party program to do this.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back