Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

FEATURE SURFACE FINISH & DRAFTING STD’

jrobi

people- Have a need to specify a surface finish for a feature- in pro/e terms, a half-round swept cut with trejectory projected onto the surface of a cylindrical surface...I need to specify a surface finish for the entire feature, all surfaces- all occurances- I understand I may need to point to the different occurances of this feature, but is anyone aware of the legal ANSI or AMSE prevailing standard for calling out a surface finish for all surfaces of a feature?

I don't have a copy of ANSI Y14.36 handy, we use ISO 1302-1978 ISO allows the the use of notes such as ALL AROUND or ALL OVER or EXCEPT WHERE OTHERWISE NOTED. When in doubt, you can always use a drawing note to explain in greater detail a specific requirement, wether you are using ANSI or ISO standards.

As the Dr. stated, you can put a general notethat states something like:

"MACHINED (OR ALL) SURFACES TO BE 125 MICROFINISH (USE THE SURFACE FINISH SYMBOL) UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED."

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back