Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Feature Create Surface Copy From Solid

Huug

Something I did in2001 serveal times and find it very practical.
But now in WF2 I do not succeed.
Menu mapper: Edit, Copy. BUT IT IS ALWAYS GRAYED OUT....!!!
No matter what I select. Oh boy...

I have an assembly, with complex plastic parts. Made in 2001.
One part is going to change radically, so I will make a complete new part in this assembly. Assembled it by default. The first feature I want to make in this new part is a surface (quilt) that is a copy of the solid of the old part.
But as said: WF2 won't let me create it.
So I think I make a new quilt in the old part. But here also: The copy button is always grayed out, as I select the whole part.

I hope I get through the two weeks that stands forthe stuggling period in migrating to WF2...

Huug

create an empty new part

Insert>shared data>copy geom from other model

and select the features/surfaces/curves you want to copy

Insert>Shared Data>From File...
No other options.
Could be ourantique licence...

smiley19.gif

please post me these info under Help>technical support info :

Release: Wildfire
Pro/ENGINEER Date Code: M150
License Name: PROE_FoundationAdv
License Version: 25.0

othewise assemble the first part you want to copy surfaces from

create an empty part, activate it, select a surface eith the selection tool set to geometry, and use the Edit>copy function to copy the info you want

i believe that it works fine in wf1

To take that a bit further, set the selection filter or click-cycle until a solid face is the object in focus, RMB and select Solid Surfaces, hit CTRL + C, then CTRL + V (or Edit / Copy, Edit / Paste).

Could be wrong, but believe the Insert / Shared Data / Copy Geometry functions stay inactive most of the time using WF2 Foundation.

Found it after a morning filled with headaches. It was the RMB indeed that did the trick. Thanks Jeff, your answer was correct. One solid face selected, and then under the right mouse button you can select Solid Surfaces.

I can't believe the Copy functionis disabled when selecting the whole part in the model tree. You should at least get some possibilities as copy part, copy surfaces or something like that.

But I'm getting used -slowly- to Wilfire 2.

Xcad:

Release: Wildfire
Pro/ENGINEER Date Code: M060
License Name: PROE_Foundation
License Version: 25.0

I asked my boss to upgrade to Foundation Advantage.
I hope he's willing to pay for it...

Huug

Didn't know you could be a "lower level" package than Foundation Advantage. Check Help / Tech Supt Info, should have about 25 modules listed (?) for Advantage.

I usually use the copy routine mentioned, but you can also do an Insert / Merge starting with an empty part. Might work better for what you're doing (?). Can at least be made independant, etc.

I might be mistaken but I believe after WF came out, Foundation Advantage contains something called Pro/ASSY_PERFORMANCE which doesn't have the Copy Geom functionality. You need a separate module called Advanced Assembly Extension or something like that to be able to Copy Geom. I found that one out the hard way as PTC didn't reveal that information when we upgraded.

That's pretty much the story; it appears it was sort of "phased out" with successive builds of WF without AAX (at least I remember a discussion in comp.cad.pro-engineer that indicated that might be the case.)

Just out of curiosity (my first exposure to Pro/E was WF); is there something that "functionally" replaces what you might miss in Copy Geom or is there simply a functionality void left?

If there is, I'd like to hear about it. Lately, I've been trying the copying surfaces of other components trick but there's always problems after any big changes to the parents. I tried exporting IGESed surfaces and just bite the bullet and redo if there's a change to the parent. I haven't messed around with shrinkwrap, is this an option?

jeff4136 said:
Didn't know you could be a "lower level" package than Foundation Advantage.

As you buy it now, you couldn't. But If you work with Pro/E for more than 9 yearsand your boss only wants to pay for maintenance, you could have something lower than Foundation Advantage.

I haven't ever been able to fiddle with Copy Geometry or skeleton parts. Simply because we lack the (former) Advanced Assembly module. Even Simplyfied Reps aren't our thing.

At this moment they are discussing to "upgrade" to Foundation Advantage. To get some "advanced" functionality, for a few euro's more. I hope they get convinced, but I don't expect anything...

smiley11.gif

Huug

Edited by: Huug

mgnt8, I'm not sure I know enough about shrinkwrap to make my opinion worthwhile, but don't think there's a future in the idea. Think Shrinkwarp is always going to "process" data vs. simply referencing it as Copy does.

Huug, I see. Seems that maint should get you whatever the current "base package" is, but guess that's not the case.

I believe that AAX still exists and is still an optional purchase. I guess Shrinkwraps, Envelopes, etc. are part of the Pro/ASSY_PERFORMANCE that comes with Foundation Advantage. Good luck with it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back