Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Family Table issue ?

MB2011SD

I tried to make a (generic) square flange with bolt holes, so i could use it with family tables to create all sizes of flanges. I tried this and have a family table. The problem is, when there are instances where the flange needs a lower number of holes, that instance will crash and not regenerate. the generic flange I made has 20 holes. but if the flange is smaller, it might only need 8 holes. in the family table, i have defined the hole spacings with columns. i tried to just put "0" when I don't need a hole, but pro-E didn't like that.

Can anyone offer a solution to this so it will work? Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Create the holes in a pattern. Then you can determine the number of holes by a formula or by the family table.

ya..as roblom said..u can create holes with pattern and put no. of holes dimension in familytable.That's the easy way to control no. of holes.

Thanks I will try all your ideas. I really appreciate it. I have seen someone else make a part where they had No in the feature. thanks.
Edited by: MB2011SD

Creating a pattern is more stable. Lets say you have in an assembly a bolt and nut related to the flange, when you replace the flange to one that has less bolts and nuts then the assembly fails. When you have a pattern and placed bolts and nuts related to that pattern (pattern place) than you can replace the flange and the number of bolts and nuts adjust to the number of holes.

The OP wanted a pattern of holes or no holes, the example I posted yesterday does exactly this!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back