Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extremely slow open through network

DPIT

Hi,

Our Pro/Engineer users (Wildfire 5.0) are facing huge problems with opening files though a network connection.

One pc is doing about 90% of all the ProE work so all files are on the local harddisk as this is the fastestsituation(pc is part of the daily backup procedure). This is a brand new Windows 7 Pro x64 pc with 8GB ram.

Another pc (XP Pro sp3) has a drivemappping to the Win7 pc to access all the files.
When that user tries to open a (small) drawing it takes about 7 minutes to open (compared to 2 seconds on the Win7 pc).
During this time you hardly see anything happen, looking at taskmanager you see a short spike on the network but than it's flat again and hardly and cpu usage. This is the same on the Win7 pc.

So it seems that the pc is just waiting and waiting and after a few minutes parts of the drawing are loaded until it is finally complete.

As you can imagine this is a totally unworkable situation.

I found a similair post about this, see the link below, but unfortunately this registry fixdid not help (increase network request buffer).
http://www.mcaduser.com/proetips/Slow%20thru%20Network.htm

Copying files between the two pc's using Windows Explorer works fine and fast. So it is strange that only ProE seems to have this problem.

Both pc's are on a tcp/ipgigabit network with a dedicated switch for that department.

Does anyone have any idea what can cause this as and what else we can try to fix (or improve) this?

Thank you.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. It was finally traced to (if I remember right) the Netbui protocol. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back