Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Export from DRW to MS Word

mebill

Hi All

About 10 years ago MS Word had a great and usefull filter that allowed the import of DXF files (Which I would create from ProE). Skip ahead 10 years and the old DXF import filter has disappeared from word and there seems (to me) to be no easy way of getting a simple line drawing from ProE to Word. Any ideas??

Importing TIFF of JPEG is messy alternative IMHO as I do not want a shaded bloated view, just some lines on the page. I might be able to export the DXF from ProE, Import it to a very simple CAD package that allows for cut and paste, still not an elegant solution..

Thanks

Bill

Plot from Pro/E using the CGM (Computer Graphics Metafile) driver. I have found these import very well into Word.

dr_gallup, I don't see the Computer Graphics Metafile option when I click on print. This would be a great option for me, right now I am exporting a DXF into CorelDraw and creating the CGM file from there to put into word.

If you select SaveA Copy... fromdrawing mode, CGM is one of the formats.

If you are bringing it into word you'll want to watch your color scheme. Because it is vector the lines are useful, but the colors will match the color on the screen. Your text and lines will be transferred as objects.

Typically I change teh system colors for my geometry andletter colors to dark (black, blue, red?) with a white backgroundas a preview, and then save it to CGM.

When I miss this step, I'll import the graphic and get white lines on a white screen (it's hard to see the geometry...) You can select and change the colors within Word but it's easier to do from pro/e.

File/Print/Add Printer Type/CGM

You can control all the colors & pen widths with .pnt files. Works like a champ. This is how they should have made pdf work instead of the brain dead SaveACopy.

Hi guys

how it works, when I am sending file to printer, its create a message and quickly disappears, I cant read it. when I send it a file it creates .plt file that is not properly open in word.

Zaki - I got that too and managed to print screen before it disappeared. It's a message that saysa .plt file is being sent toa printer. Try saving to file and changing the extension from .plt to .cgm. The file will then drag and drop into Word.

Anybody got a different method?

What works for me is to create a PDF of the drawing. Then use the "snapshot tool" in reader 7. Then paste into Word.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back