Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Exploding Threads

bjohnso2

Hello All,

I am using Wildfire (Date code M210). Is anyone else
having problems with cosmetic threads exploding when you go to exploded
view? I do not want them to explode,
features should not explode! Cosmetic
threads never exploded in previous builds of Pro-E.

Thanks,

Brian

are you saying that when you create an exploded view in an assembly, a cosmetic thread feature of a part in that assembly is displaced in the exploded view. if this is the case, it may be due to some graphics issue. try to place that exploded view on a drawing and see if you find the same problem.

if the problem persists, you can mail me your files at [email protected]so i can try solving....

bye....

i dont know, whether thats the correct way of modeling. you should be creating the cosmetic thread feature in the part and not in the assembly. if you create the cosmetic thread as a feature within the part, you will not have any problems while exploding the view in assembly.

hope this answers you problem....

The part is an altered item, and to get it to show up correctly in the
drawing it has to be done that way. It is not uncommon to do a
tapped hole in an assembly (ie. match drill and tap). I think it
might just be a bug in wildfire since I have not seen Pro do this in
any other build. I have been using Pro since v17.

Thanks,

Brian

try to add cosmetic thread to the part in assembly mode not as feature in assembly so that it will not explode in exploding view. hope this will help your problem..

dr_gallup, its possible only to move components/parts (solid geometry) by redefining the explode, not the features like the cosmetic thread. i am not sure, if this works even in proe 2001 or earlier versions. in case anyone has access to the earlier versions, could you please explore and let us know.

thanks - huliyar

I can confirm that it works as strange in 2001.

If the thread is created as an assy feature it will stay in default position when exploding the assy (the part moves, not the thread).
I couldnt find any way of modifying the thread in an explode state.

Strange since the thread I created has only references from the part, thread surf start surf and end surf is all from the part.

Brian, bring it up with PTC to see what they say. I think you are right, it shouldnt be like this since some operations are made in assembly line like this and you dont want that to reflect in part mode.

heres a screen shot of my example in exploded state, one thread created in part mode and the other one as assy feature:

View attachment 722

I talked to PTC and they say that I should write an
enhancement request to get this changed. I don't see this as an enhancement;
I see it as a function that should have been there all along. Why in the
world would you want a thread to be exploded from the part? I am trying
to get them to reopen SPR851813. I think all users that read this posting
should bug PTC on this issue. Maybe we will get it fixed from mass inquiries.

The PTC Customer Service Number is: 1-800-477-6435

Thanks,

Brian

The SPR was written by
someone else from another company about three years ago and has since been
closed. The only reason I know of this SPR is that PTC told me about it
and attached my call number to it. This is what PTC e-mailed me:

"I

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back