Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Errors importing EMN files

Have any of you rec'd problems with board sketches when importing emn files?

We get a "Too many section entities," error when trying to regenerate the board. Once we have deleted several connector's-worth of holes, the board is able to autodim, regenerate, and continue importing.

I have noticed that the holes in the sketch appear as 2 concentric arcs, instead of one circle. Is there a way to force Pro to read these in as circles, instead of arcs, or forcing mentor to export as circles, instead of arcs? I think this woul dfix my problem.

Also, we are importing boards with ~4000 components. Is this a typical size for a board, or is this large/small?

Thanks,

I have seen this problem too when importing files generated byAllegro. The trouble I had wasthat the export filter to eliminate viaswas OFF, consequently hundreds, if not thousands, of semicircular arcs were generated. Otherwise most of our board are surface mount so lots of PTH's aren't too much of a problem.

Suggest you get the emn regenerated and turn off all unessential holes (via's etc) and try again. I assume this is possible in Mentor as it is in Allegro.I know it's not the answeryou were looking for but at least you don't have to do the re-working within Pro/E!

Further to this, I've just started using Wildfire 2 and notice there aresome config.pro optionsthatthat may help.
ecad_pin_hole_import
ecad_via_hole_import
They enable you to choose whether to import holes and vias. Apparently you can also do this from the import dialogue. Not tried it though.

I would recommend that by default you don't import vias. Get your ECAD guys to filter them out when they export the file or filter them out when importing the file by your preferred method.

If you are absolutely forced to import the vias for checking and the board won't import as a single solid feature due to too many entities, set the config.pro option

ecad_import_holes_as_features yes

which will create a PCB with about 5,000 feature and will be damn slow to import, but it will import.

DB.

B.T.W. holes should be in the DRILLED_HOLES section of the .emn file. If for some reason they are in the BOARD_OUTLINE section, it is impossible for them to come in as a single circle

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back