Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dxf to part

Create a new part, then : insert - shared data - from file

(or simply drag the dxf into your pro/E window, but then you dont get your "pre defined wievs and layers" , i.o.w your startpart)

//Tobias

I am equally interested in this topic since I am a WF3.0 user as well.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I am trying to import artwork to extrude as a feature on a part. When I use Sketch

take your DXF into a Pro/E drawing (if you don't have another CAD conversion tool) then delete what you don't want and translate with respect to X,Y coordinate system. Then export as IGES so you can take her into a part.

I use Alias Studio to bring in the .ai files. First prep the file in illustrator ... then export. Alias Studio and many conversion utilities will handle .ai .pdf and .eps files and convert them over. once you get your dxf file do the Pro/E drawing thing described at the top of this post.

I have created parts from dxf's in Wildfire 2,3 & 4.

All you need to do is File -> Open

Set the drop-down box to all files and you can open the dxf - ProE will prompt you for what you want to open it as -Part, Drawing, etc.

To use it as artwork, try importing as a sketch (never tried but may work).

If you have Illustrator, I think .dxf export is an
option???

You may also want to take a look at Inkscape, which is a
free and open source program that is similar to Adobe
Illustrator. I don't think it is quite as capable
though.

It can import .ai files, among many others, and can
export .dxf.

It has some nice trace bitmap functionality, which I've
used experimentally to generate a curve from an image,
which I could clean up within Inkscape (make it
continuous curvature) and export to a .dxf. This was