Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dxf files to a solid

proto-typer

alright so i have recieved a dxf file that needs to be converted to a solid part, is there a way to import a dxf file and turn it in to a extruded piece.

when i open the dxf it has two views ofthe part, of coarse i need to translate these views into a 3d part.

i need some input on this, is there an easie way to do this ???

I haven't found an easy way to do this. The only way I know how is to import the DXF, and use the DXF sketch as the basis for your extrusion in the first direction. It gets more complicated in the second direction- SW allows you to copy entities from sketch to sketch, but pasting the new sketch is a pain- it drops it wherever your cursor is, so you have to constrain the sketch in a way that allows you to drag it where you need it. Not easy to do if the sketch is complicated.

Maybe the SW's function: FULLY DEFINE SKETCH can help you to constrain the sketch. You find that function under TOOLS - DIMENSIONS - FULLY DEFINE SKETCH

2D to 3D wizard will allow you to take the dxf brought into a single sketch feature and select entities to assign to the Front View Right View Top View etc.

If you select the geometry from one of the DXF views you can select from the toolbar which view to place it in and you'll get a new sketch containing the selected lines arcs.

If you select the Right View for the second group of curves SW will orient the curves parallel to the view.

You can then use these sketches to create your 3D model.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back