Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

draft problems

Blaze

I'm trying to create a splitted draft with one and the same angle, but different directions of drafting. I make draft, select the surface, select the neutral plane, sketch the split object and all is ok, untill i make angles equal to the parameter.The directions of the drafting become identical and i can't change them separetaly. I mean, i can change the direction of them both.

So, to achievemy aim i have to draft one side and then draft the other side. I mean, i have to create two draft features instead of one. It's not convinient. Maybe i miss something? Does anybody know how to make it with only one draft feature?

Hi Blaze

Different angles can be given when you create a neutral curve initially and then give the command of draft where in you should use neutral curve option instead of neutral plane.

try this .If you ahve doubts please let me know

Hi all!

It's a strange behavior in wf 2.0. I nearly spent 2 hours trying to draft this surface butpro/etell me the surface sellection (red surface below)contains surfaces that cannot be drafted. I've used draft feature a hundred times but here's the first time I fall into this situation. Anyone had similar problem before? which surface can be drafted, which can't? please give me some advice. Thanx in advance.

View attachment 1743

Here's the file:

2006-02-06_121735_astray.prt.rar
Edited by: ndk

I was trying to drafted it but without any result
smiley5.gif
But maybe this model will beuseful for U. 2006-02-07_065620_gc.prt.rarLet me know If I helped you.

View attachment 1750

Edited by: Miko

Hi Miko,

Yeahdraftcan beusedforsurfaces created by solid extrude as thefirst feature. As you can see in my model, the basic feature is rotational blend and so the surfaces can't be drafted. Is there any problem with my surfaces though both methods give us the same appearance?

Can you post the model in that state? I don't often use Draft and it'd be an interesting brain teaser.

I'm sort wondering... it looks like you could get a similar shape by extruding a section made of three conic arcs. Would that draft (rhetorical question, something I'll try sometime)?

... and apologies to Blaze. We be cluttering up the thread.
smiley9.gif

Edited by: jeff4136

Okey dokey. From (when all else fails; check) Help: "You can draft only surfaces that are formed by tabulated cylinders or planes."
(Don't ask me what "tabulated" means.
smiley5.gif
)

nd wrote>
smiley19.gif
which surface is tabulated form?

I think, this is important question for professionals on PTC.com

If I were to guess; "tabulated" means a true analytic cylinder (degree 1 x 2?) rep vs. a spline (degree 1 x 3?) rep. Just a guess. This stuff is over my head. (Help, Global search all modules for "tabulated" returns 12 hit. Probably the most informative, for those with the saavy to comprehend is "Example: Tabulated Cylinder data Format".)

----

smiley9.gif
Oops, I was wrong.

http://www.mec.cf.ac.uk/~spessd/CAD_CAM/CADCAM_31.pdf

(For the ashtray, I'd definitely ditch the revolved blend idea and simply duplicate the shape using multiple features, i.e. extrusions, thicken with draft, etc.)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back