Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Description in assembly tables

geertdaenen

Hello,

when I'm making some drawings of assemblies in WF3, I always place a table on these drawings. This table contains in the first column the name of all the parts in the assembly, the second column contains the parameter "description" of all the parts and the last column contains the number of the parts in this assy.
Each column has a specific width of a number of letters, and this width should stay in each assy the same (so I don't want to change this width).

Now I want to create an extra rule into this table:
In the future I want to fill in the "description" (it's a parameter in each part) with a big number of letters. So the descriptor can be very long. But not everything of this description has to get into the table on the assy drawing. Because the width of the column can be to small

For example; the description of the part can be:
Motor reductor SEW [n=129/min; M=110nM; B4]

Now I only want to get everything into the table, except for the letters between the [ ]-signs.

I want to do this, because of it

You MIGHT be able to do this via a table relation to process the string values and edit out the bits you don't want to show.

BUT

My serious recommendation is that you have 2 "description" parameters each containing half the information. It will also give you far more flexibilty with your data.

When you need to create all the second parameters and edit the first parameters, do it via the model tree as it is so much faster than doing via the parameter menu.

DB

Hello Dell boy,

I know that it's possible to do this with the table relation. But can you tell me how the rule will be, to erase the bits I don't want to see?

I also know that it's possible to make a second parameter in the parts. But the problem is: we already have a lot of parts (we are working with ProE since 1999), and I don't want to change all these parts.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I beleve this is a quite difficult problem. Can anybody help me by "inventing" the rule?

Is it possible to let ProE recognize the text between the [ ]-signs and let it erase?

Kind regards

It is possible but you need some sort of pattern. What I mean is if you have let's say the first10 characters in each description that you want to extract, then it is possible, but if those characters are 10 than on another part are 15, if they are not the same then I don'tthink it's possible.

See these for aditional info on extract:

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34 850&KW=count[/url]

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33 979&KW=extract&TPN=1[/url]

I will try to think of a way but rigth now I don't think it's possible.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back