Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dell Precison Laptop

m6400 should replace your m90, how do you lug that thing around? wouldn't it be easier to have a 15" and hook up to a projector? the two probably weigh no more than your m90 hehe

i don't recommend AW, they are cool, no denying that, but...no workstation graphic cards for them tho, right?

otherwise go with their m17x and the oohs and ahhs from all those lights

and imagine how nice the blu-ray will look on that next flight

Edited by: magneplanar

Bart,

I currently use a Dell M90 Precision laptop, and previously used an Alienware MJ-12 7700. I believe the Dell Precision M6400 is a replacement for the M90.

I liked the Alienware, but replaced it with Dell for two reasons:

<ul>[*]To replace the motherboard (under warranty), I had to ship the Alienware back for repair and wait two weeks to receive it back. This resulted in a loss of work, and I was not happy. I believe Dell will send a repair technician on-site for major repairs.
[*]SolidWorks does not support the video card drivers for Alienware, even if it is the same video card used in the Dell laptop. I do not know if this is an issue with Pro/Engineer.[/list]
Both offer 17 inch monitors, and I would not consider a 15 inch monitor for CAD.

Regards,

Chris Thompson

Edited by: c_thompson_68

Bart,

If you are looking for the mac daddy of laptops where money and weight are no object? Dell "covet" M6400. Lots of RAM up 16mb. 1gb graphics, Nvidia or ATI. Intel Quad core processors.

[url]http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/workstation-pre cision-m6400-cov/pd.aspx?refid=workstation-precision-m6400-c ov&s=bsd&cs=04[/url]

Desktop enginnering has a number of ratings of HP vs dell vs Alienware. Alienware always scores the lowest in rendering and cpu intense programs. Alienware is a great computer for gaming but not for CAD/Rendering. Alienware is also not included in PTC's certified/supported computers.

CK: http://www.ptc.com/partners/hardware/current/support.htm

One of our laptops is a M6300. an upgrade from our last M90. We have 64bit Pro/e, Solidworks, Hypershot, Rapidform, Zscan and a few other graphics/cpu intense programs running on one machine. It works great. If we had the extra cash we would have gone with the M6400. With lots of extra cash flow, the "Covet" M6400.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is, what is the ultimate inteded use and preformance needs? Gaming, CAD, Rendering.....

Cheers,
Tim

I have a Dell M6300 and its wickedly fast and this is the 32 bit one!! I have an M90 thats 64 bit and I have to nail that one to the desk!!!

Plus fella's there's only one real thing that we need to think about, when ever we are in an airport, on a train or in a meeting and we pull out our tools of the trade and look over at the marketing staff with their tiny little 10inch screen laptops sqinting to see the start button. Just know that when you open the lid to your baby, pop on the ray bans and hit the on button, everyone will know that you are NOT in marketing or sales, but are in fact, a professional!! :)

Big laptops are infact whats makes us different. and lugging your M90/6300/6400 around the place in one hand, and your power supply in the other, well thats just a good work out isn't it !?!?

Paddy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back