Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Default symbol placement

dr_gallup

I think I know the answer to this question (no) but maybe there is some good work around out there.

Is there any way to change the default symbol placement setting? It always defaults to FREE and I use OFFSET 99% of the time. Even when you set it to OFFSET for one symbol, if you select another symbol it reverts back to FREE. Very annoying and adds dozens of mouse clicks clicks on a large drawing.

Using WF2 but going to WF4 soon.

Do you use symbols from the pallete? or search for them? I think if you place your symbol from on the pallete that it will retain the details of the placement compared to a symbol retrieved from elsewhere...

M

I've never found a use for any of the symbols on the drawing pallet. I've always created my own custom symbols. I just tried using the drawing pallet, none of the existing symbols use OFFSET placement. There are a couple that exist on both the FREE & ON ENTITY drawing views. They do keep those placements. I'll have to look into how PTC did that pallet & see if it can be whipped into something more useful.

dr gallup

you can add your custom symbols to the pallete as well, I do this too. Then when I want a symbol I just go to the pallete and select my custom one.

cheers,

M

Well, I figured out how to use the symbol pallet & how to get offset placement. However, it really does not work well for parametric symbols. Each instance placed in the pallet is basically pre-defined so if you need a lot of variation in symbol parameters, orientation, etc. you need to create every conceivable instance in the pallet. Really clunky compared to the already clunky symbol interface.

For instance, we use a simple circle with a number in it to show where a revision has been made. I would have to place about 40 of these in the pallet to get the common values (1-10) and rotations (0, 45, -45, 90). Otherwise, every symbol would have to be redefined through the properties dialog after placement.

I submitted an enhancement request (again) to allow either specifying a default placement type for each symbol or at least have the dialog box default to the last placement type each time it is called up or you switch to a new symbol. Should be available about the time I retire.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back