Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Data Sharing Techniques

Mloew

I would like some input on what the best strategy might be for sharing information across models. I have what I call interface models that detail the important interfaces, package spaces, etc. across interfacing systems. For example, I have three parts, (Part A, Part B, Part C) and there are required interfaces from Part A to Part B and Part B to Part C. I want to have the proper dimensions, tolerances, GD&T, etc. controlled centrally.

In the past, I used external copy geom. features of pub geom. features to copy geometry across models, but the geometry is static, i.e. I have no access to the dimensions, tolerances, etc. It is not really much better than a dependent import. The inheritance feature is neat, because it allows for real access to the actual feature geometry. Unfortunately, I must inherit the entire part including the geometry that is not relevant to the interfaces of interest.

I am looking to emulate inheriting certain features like the pub_geom/external copy geom. with the functionality of the inheritance feature. Any clues?

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Luck is the residue of design.

Branch Rickey

Isn't that what skeleton models are for? Just put in the geometry needed to control the overall assembly size & constraints.

dr_gallup,

Yes indeed. But I have the information in individual skeleton parts, not the DM skeleton.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back