Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CT/MRI to Pro/e

jsantangelo

Has anybody recently worked with CT or MRI data and brought it into Pro/e? I'm working on a project where we'll be using MRI data for a custom product. I'm looking at Mimics to isolate and export the 3D data (STL, Point Cloud, etc). I know Geomagic can create usable surfaces (IGS Surfaces) from point cloud data but the cost of the Geomagic software plus Mimics is not within budget. We don't have REX but I have been looking at that as another route to get a useable blob instead of Geomagic. From my understanding REX is an older version of Geomagic. The blob does not need to be parametric just somethign that can be used in an assembly to do Component Operations, specifically Cut Out, on another component.

Cheers,
Kimocal

Ive been on crutches since before Christmas from a tendon tear in the left knee. I have fresh MRI imagery on a CD. The images are numbered appropriately but will need to be pasted together into a readable format. I do not have point cloud data.

I looked at the site you posted and there is no contact info to even ask questions. I suppose there is an output that you can get from the MRI machine other than JPG information.
Edited by: design-engine

james.lynch said:
You can always take the stl into pro and rebuild it.. If your surfacing is

good enough?

It would be possible, just not very efficient and not really necessary. The MRI data does not need to be parametrically modifiable. Just need to do an assembly Cut Out with the MRI data "blob" to an existing Pro/e model. The MRI "blob" has to be as close to the actual anatomy as possible.

Edited by: jsantangelo

design-engine said:
Ive been on crutches since before Christmas from a tendon tear in the left knee. I have fresh MRI imagery on a CD. The images are numbered appropriately but will need to be pasted together into a readable format. I do not have point cloud data.

I looked at the site you posted and there is no contact info to even ask questions. I suppose there is an output that you can get from the MRI machine other than JPG information.

I've been in contact with one of their reps. They have another piece of software called 3-Matic that has a module called CAD Link that can create a surface and export it out as an IGES or STP.

I know what process and steps that need to be done. I'm just trying to do them in the most efficient and cost effective way. It could be done by using Mimics then export to Geomagic and then export to Pro/e but the cost of doing that is out of the question.
smiley17.gif

How did you hurt your knee? Better be from dragging a knee on the race course.
smiley2.gif

Edited by: jsantangelo

I used to work in orthopeadics, doing hip and knee replacements. Some of our work was custom replacements for people with injuries outside of the normal wear and tear. We would get MRI scan data straight from the hospital in a format that we could use, I cant remember what the format was but i remember that i could pull it into proe and unigraphics, back then I was not hot on surfacing but i do rember that i got surfaces out in the end, so it must have been in some format that was easy to import. Is it possible to talk to the people who are doing the scans for you and see what format they can export in??

Paddy

mcgowanp said:
I used to work in orthopeadics, doing hip and knee replacements. Some of our work was custom replacements for people with injuries outside of the normal wear and tear. We would get MRI scan data straight from the hospital in a format that we could use, I cant remember what the format was but i remember that i could pull it into proe and unigraphics, back then I was not hot on surfacing but i do rember that i got surfaces out in the end, so it must have been in some format that was easy to import. Is it possible to talk to the people who are doing the scans for you and see what format they can export in??

Paddy

Dicom is the format we will get from the radiologist. That is then opened in Mimics and the relevant data is isolated. We're trying to develop a stream lined semi-automatic process to get a quick turnaround time.

All I have with my MRI is jpegs.I will call the MRI place and ask what other formats they can export.

I box, run, ride dirt bikes, road race, skate board, rock climb, and repel the elevator at the office. Ive crashged on tipple jumps... Ive crashed at over 120 mph (on multiple occasions) and only broke ribs....

I twisted my knee though on melting snow walking to the bank.Really depressing. Wish I had a better story.

design-engine said:
All I have with my MRI is jpegs.I will call the MRI place and ask what other formats they can export.

I box, run, ride dirt bikes, road race, skate board, rock climb, and repel the elevator at the office. Ive crashged on tipple jumps... Ive crashed at over 120 mph (on multiple occasions) and only broke ribs....

I twisted my knee though on melting snow walking to the bank.Really depressing. Wish I had a better story.

Most of the MRI/CT software takes the JPGs from one view create the other views (Front, Side, Top) with an algorithm. It's like making 3D images from multiple 2D images. Pretty sweet stuff.

Awww man. You should have said you were trying to pull off a McTwist on the skate ramp you guys have near your office. My buddy has survived multiple high speed motorcycle crashes on the track with barely a scratch on him. Goes to show how important gear is. But he takes a mistep off a street curb walking and snaps his tibia and fibula. Go figure?
smiley5.gif

"Most of the MRI/CT software takes the JPGs from one view create the other views (Front, Side, Top) with an algorithm. It's like making 3D images from multiple 2D images. Pretty sweet stuff."

I would like to see how that software works... I imagine you have a folder full of bit map images. Numbered accordingly... knee001.jpg knee002.jpg .... and the software plugs all the images together with respect to a slice distance or increment. call it a cord height like in SLA terminology.

Found this on another forum:
X-ray Computed Tomography (CT)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT, ECT)
Ultrasound Imaging
Biomagnetic Imaging
Radiographic Imaging
Auto-radiographic Imaging
2-D and 3-D Microscopy Imaging (Light, Electron, Confocal, Atomic Force) "

Other common MRI formats include:

Scanner/PACS Formats:

Picker SPECT image formats.
GE MR SIGNA 3 and SIGNA 5 MRI/CT Formats.
GE SIGNA Horizon LX MRI Image Format.
Siemens Magnatom Vision MRI Image Format
DICOM 3.0 Image Data.
CTI (old style) format.
CTI ECAT 7 (new style) format.
SMIS MRI data format
ASI/Concorde MicroPET image file format

I do not have the REX module for Pro-E, but can import scan data into SolidWorks using the ScanTo3D add-in (module) for these specific file types:

Mesh Files (*.NZIP;*.NXM;*.SCN;*.3DS;*.OBJ;*.STL;*.WRL;*.PLY;*.PLY2)

PointCloud Files (*.XYZ;*.TXT;*.ASC;*.VDA;*.IGS;*.IBL)

After creating a surface in SolidWorks, the file could then be exported from SW (STEP, IGES, etc.) and imported into Pro-E. You would need to first check if the CT or MRI data can be obtained as a Mesh or PointCloud file.

Regards,

Chris Thompson
www.appianwaytech.com

Edited by: c_thompson_68

c_thompson_68 said:
I do not have the REX module for Pro-E, but can import scan data into SolidWorks using the ScanTo3D add-in (module) for these specific file types:
Mesh Files (*.NZIP;*.NXM;*.SCN;*.3DS;*.OBJ;*.STL;*.WRL;*.PLY;*.PLY2)

PointCloud Files (*.XYZ;*.TXT;*.ASC;*.VDA;*.IGS;*.IBL)
After creating a surface in SolidWorks, the file could then be exported from SW (STEP, IGES, etc.) and imported into Pro-E. You would need to first check if the CT or MRI data can be obtained as a Mesh or PointCloud file.Regards,Chris Thompsonwww.appianwaytech.com

Solidworks scanto3d is very limited to facet size and count. Large files will crash the best of computers. If you are dealing with small scans and extremly clean data. It's manageable at best. Not a proper solution for reverse engineering.

for me personally, I had another knee injury this past December and conducted an MRI. The guys in the office all thought it would be cool to get a model of the MRI. So I did a little research into what it would take to create a model from the imagery...

Its probably knot worth the 15thousand for the specific software just to mess around with my left knee model.

Bart,
You are a master of ISDX. Your MRI (DICOM) can be converted to TIFF, PNG, BMP, or JPEG. The images are stacked between 0.5 to 1.0 mm in the Z direction. The images will have offset, thickness data along with all your person info included. Make sketches of ea. image. Maybe use boundary blend. It would be time consuming if you have 20+ images.

but the software I posted converts all that jpeg imagry to vector & points etc so I can cram it all into solids with what ever process....

design-engine said:
"Most of the MRI/CT software takes the JPGs from one view create the other views (Front, Side, Top) with an algorithm. It's like making 3D images from multiple 2D images. Pretty sweet stuff."

I would like to see how that software works... I imagine you have a folder full of bit map images. Numbered accordingly... knee001.jpg knee002.jpg .... and the software plugs all the images together with respect to a slice distance or increment. call it a cord height like in SLA terminology.

Found this on another forum:
X-ray Computed Tomography (CT)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Positron Emission Tomography (PET)
Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT, ECT)
Ultrasound Imaging
Biomagnetic Imaging
Radiographic Imaging
Auto-radiographic Imaging
2-D and 3-D Microscopy Imaging (Light, Electron, Confocal, Atomic Force) "

Other common MRI formats include:

Scanner/PACS Formats:

Picker SPECT image formats.
GE MR SIGNA 3 and SIGNA 5 MRI/CT Formats.
GE SIGNA Horizon LX MRI Image Format.
Siemens Magnatom Vision MRI Image Format
DICOM 3.0 Image Data.
CTI (old style) format.
CTI ECAT 7 (new style) format.
SMIS MRI data format
ASI/Concorde MicroPET image fileformat&n bsp;

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back