Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating empty component in assermbly

streamm

hi all,
1-I creat a new assembly and create an empty component in the assembly mode.
2-I activate the component and create an extrusion (BOX).
3-I create a second empty component.
4-I activate the second component and create an extrusion witch take reference from the first component.
5-When I delete the first component, the second still remain while it should be deleted as he has a reference from the first.
Is this normal?
Thanks.

Edited by: streamm

I think what you are seeing is normal. If you open up the part that remains and edit the extrusion you will probably find that the sketch plane reference is missing.

ok, is there any config or something witch will force Pro/ENGINEER to delete the second component?
here I'm working with 2 components.....in cas I have 200 or 1000, it will be difficult.

hi streamm,
it may be possible, cos u have created 2nd part with the reference of 1st part, & u r just deleting the 1st part from the assembly file & not frm ur working derectory & u would have located the 2nd part file in the assembly at the default or u have used assembly constraint for d placement of 2nd part file(only the location/constraining i mean)

I don't think there is one but I'm not sure. I think it has more to do with the constraints you are applying in the assembly. One thing I can think of that might be having an affect is the freeze_failed_assy_component is set to yes. Otherwise I think it should put you in Resolve mode so you can specify if you want to delete, suppress, or freeze components.

kdem said:
I don't think there is one but I'm not sure. I think it has more to do with the constraints you are applying in the assembly. One thing I can think of that might be having an affect is the freeze_failed_assy_component is set to yes. Otherwise I think it should put you in Resolve mode so you can specify if you want to delete, suppress, or freeze components.

this option is used to freeze component witch ppp ask to fin when retrieving an assembly.
so it doesn't work for my case.

Is it putting you in Resolve mode? As far as I know ProE doesn't delete the component from the assembly automatically (there is no config option I'm aware of) but it should put you in resolve mode. Depending on the assembly contraints when you delete a component a dialog boxmay comeup asking you what you want to do with the components that have dependences with the one you are deleting.

kdem said:
Is it putting you in Resolve mode? As far as I know ProE doesn't delete the component from the assembly automatically (there is no config option I'm aware of) but it should put you in resolve mode. Depending on the assembly contraints when you delete a component a dialog boxmay comeup asking you what you want to do with the components that have dependences with the one you are deleting.

<table bgcolor="#999999" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="text">
</td>
</tr>
</t></table></td>
</tr>
</t></table>

As I first sayed, I don't assemblate the components by placement constraints.
I assemblate them like this:
1-I creat a new assembly and create an empty component in the assembly mode.
2-I activate the component and create an extrusion (BOX).
3-I create a second empty component.
4-I activate the second component and create an extrusion witch take reference from the first component.
5-When
I delete the first component, Pro/ENGINEER shows a warning saying that
the highlighted elements will deleted but on the model tree no element
is highilighted and when I click OK, the first component is only the
one witch is deleted.
U can create an example and you will see the behavior.

That is the behavior I get to. I created an assembly with twoparts and gave them the default constraint. Created a block in the first part, activate the second, and created a block in the second part using a face from the first block as a sketch plane.In assembly if you have constraints ProE will give you the same box but will have a list of components that are constrained to the part you are deleting and you can specify how you want to handle the parts (suppress and suspend). Because you don't have assembly constraintsProE doesn't delete the part but regenerates or displays the part when it was last successfully generated and should generate a warming to that effect. Itshould also give you a warning that references are missing. I'm assuming you opened the second part to see the missing sketchreference. For me at least, it has always acted in this manner.
Edited by: kdem

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back