Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating a cam using mechanism

billwillett

Hi. Would someone belike to help me develop a cam? I've sucessfully made a cylindrical cam before using the steps below.

View attachment 711

1. generate a mechanism with the cylinder fixed.

2. create a follower and drive it with a motor 360 degrees around the cylnder as many times as needed.

3.also drivethe follower axially along the cam with the motion I wantusing a 2nd motor.

4. create a motion envelope of the follower

5. bring envelope into cam and use it to cut away.

Below is a picture of the type of cam I want to now do. As the cam turns, the rectangular box moves right and left.

I want to create a motion evelope of the sides of the rectangular box and use it to cut away the outside of the cam. (continued after pic).

View attachment 712

Here's the mechanism I'm using......

View attachment 713

The box rotates 360 degrees. While rotating, it also translates as I want it to. The brown disk is the motion envelope. An empty part is connected to a fixed axis and driven by one motor. The box is connected to the empty part with a planar joint that is driven by a 2nd motor.

My problem is that the envelope is generated using the ouside of the box. What I wanted to see was an envelope with a hole in it I could use to cut the cam. Imagine that the cam started as a flat plate of clay and that I rotated the box around it by hand. If I didn't translate the box, I'd end up with a circle of clay which would be the correct cam for no translation. If I also translated the box while rotating, I'd end up with the cam I need.

How can I generate this cutter in proe?

Bill,

I'm not a Pro/E guru, but I don't think it is possible to have Pro/E cut away material on the fly...

I think the bestway to design the cam is the other way around: design a cam, let the cam drive the rectangular box and register theroad or speedcurve of the rectangular box. This will be a trial and error operation that you will have to repeat a number of times, but I think it is the simplest way to go.

Good luck!

Kind regards
Eddy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back