Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Create a SOLID of a VOID

Roland J

I have a model of a Case & I need to design Foam packing.

The inside of the case has protrusions & the walls are drafted, so what I need to do is create a solid model of the cavity, to represent the Foam.

Hopefully this is a relatively simple operation. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roland Jenkins

In short...
1. make new part without cavity inside (U have to do save as existing component and fill cavity)
2. After filling cavity in that part, go to Insert>shared data>Merge/Inheritance..then select original part & constrain it exactly to match with existing geometry in part...chose remove material...
3. you can make this dependent..so if u change original part, cavity will automatically update..
All done!!!
smiley1.gif

Sachin

Thanks for the reply... however, I don't seem to have the same options ..
All I have is: Insert>Shared Data>From File
Also my Merge icon is greyed out suggesting it's not available. Is this a bolt-on application perhaps?

Roland

Looks like Sachin got AAX , and maybe Roland is missing that ?

But...Roland , you should be able to use the merge command without AAX , can you post at pic on how it looks on your screen, like the one Sachin did?

//Tobias

it must be there somewhere else...
some1 using WF-5 should help you to find it...
I am not lucky/unlucky enought to work on WF-5..
smiley2.gif

What I usually do is in the assem. create new part. Make that part active and then copy the inside surfaces (with surf and bound) then cap it off with another surf. Merge the surfs together and then solidify.
Edited by: krow72

Here is a work flow that may or may not help you.
Place a part representing the foam block in an assembly that has large enough dimensions to chop up. Copy into this part the parting lines (project onto a surface)
Extrude the lines to make cutting surfaces. (how the block will come apart)
You may also choose lines other than the parting lines.
Copy in a surface set into the a new part that has the outside shape (cutter part)
Fill in any of the holes, add bumps and recesses to the surface set where you need them,
merge the surface set and solidify
use a component operation to remove the internal cavity by subtracting the cutter part in the assembly context from the foam block
use the surfaces and solidify to cut the block up and use a family table to show the each individual part activating the solidify features as required.
5(hint)

Add scaling to the cutter part to compensate for the process if expanded PS.
You can not scale the file unless you scale the native file, if you do not have the native file convert it to an IGES and re-import to scale. (breaks all references) Adding a second scalled cutter part will give some means of going back and making changes.

Good luck.
Chris

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back