Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

CONVERT ASSEMBLY IN SINGLE FILE

canopys

Hello,

I was wondering something : How could I convert an assembly into a single file ? STEP, IGES, others ? The problem with STEP and IGES is that when opening them in Pro/E, the system creates an asm containing some prt that will be save with the asm.

I tried shrinkwrap, hearing PTC it sounds like a must. But it's not ! Because of accurency differences, all the parts cannot be converted into the shrinwrap.

So what is the solution ?

create a new component while in assembly mode and assemble it by default.

try using the edit/component operations/merge option

click your new part/click ok then select all the models you want to copy.

When you import the IGES file, import it as a part instead of an assembly and it will come in as a single partfile.

If you try to do the same with STEP you will not get good results in my experience. The import will warn you that parts may not be assembled correctly, whichis often true and I've found that patterned compoennts would only import the lead component.

IGES hasn't given me any problems but I always assemble the resulting file back into my assembly asa sanity check.

Tobyk

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back