Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

Contracting Question

boydt

I am not sure this really belongs in the rant and rave area but I couldn't find a better place.

Recently I have been presented the chance of doing some freelance Pro/E design work from home. They would like to treat me like a vendor to them. I would think I need to set up a fed tax ID number... Is this how any of you have done it in this situation?

boydt

So when they pay me they can just referance my SSN then I would get a 1099 from them at the end of the year?

jvf-design

Boydt,

You will need to fill out a W-9 file, this is the information you will have to fill out to contract. You can get a copy of this of the government tax form site

I was a sole proprietor and registered the name jvf-designs in my county and used my SS#.

Hope this helps

survey

The sole proprietor laws vary by state (I think). If you are not going to do a lot of work from home the sole proprietorship is the way to go. If you start to make a lot of money, you can set up an LLC (with S corp election) pretty easy.

survey

Sponsor