Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

complex suface problems

Colinu,

There's a few things going on here. #1, Are you trying to sweep the sketch 26 profile along all of the curves? May I suggest you either use a loft or boundary curve? I think you'll find this works much better.

And #2, since youare "missing a corner" of the terrain map, SW is going to have a lot of trouble putting a surface between sketches 11 and 12 no matter what feature you use. I got around this by building the framework of the corner with a bunch of splines, then trimming the corner away after the surface was created. I chose to use a loft. This yielded a pretty reliable surface I think:

View attachment 5857

Let me know if you have trouble repeating this on your pc. Oh, and turn off the "preview" when you are building the lofted surface, it really bogged my machine down for no reason (under-performing video card maybe?).

Jim Shaw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Thanks for that but i had little luck repaeting this. I don't need the corner to be cut out, it was only the data i got from the people who surveyed the area. Any poss thasst you post the file so i could see how you done it. I have never use boundary curve?

Colinu,

Since we don't want to artificially add topology, I think it is safest to leave the corner cutout, but from a workflow standpoint, it is best to temporarily add one in, so SW can properly calculate the surfaces inbetween the curves. This is somewhat common in surface modeling (to "overdraw" a model) - but takes some practice to get used to.

I am using SW09, and it seemed that the original file was from an earlier version. What version are you on?

I have created a walk-through: click here

Let me know if this works for you. BTW, what is this for, can you share with us?

Jim Shaw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering
Edited by: jimshaw

< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11">

Thank For this. I have had a good look at your walk through
and it looks to be straight forward. I am working on 2008 version and don't
have a surface loft option in the loft section. Do i need to select this from
another part of sold works or is not in my version.

It is a land survey that was done on a site i am working on. I am working with
a local government education department to install a challenge course on the
land. The sponsor would like to donate signage for the project and would like
3D mapping and course layout. I have created the obstacle and now just need the
ground to locate them on.

Edited by: colinu

Jimshaw how does your solidworks look so clean? Is it because you are using a certain type of graphics card or graphics settings?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back