Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Common name

cole_trick

When we create a new part, we can enter a common name. How did we modify this common name. Examble I want to save as the parts to creat a similar one with some new feature, but it keep the same common name.

Thanks for your advice,

Cole

Hey Cole,

I believe the common name is stored as a parameter (found in Tools->Parameters...) and you can freely change it. The parameter name is "PTC_COMMON_NAME". Is this what you are looking for?

Hope this helps.

Hey Cole,

Well I don't know if this parameter was created automatically before Wildfire 2.0. If you are using WF 2.0 or greater, you need to make sure that you are using the "inlbs_part_solid" template which includes this parameter. You can find out if you are using this template by REMOVING the check form the "Use default template" checkbox from the "New" file dialog. Also, you can simply create the "PTC_COMMON_NAME" parameter which will have the same effect. It is a string type.

Hope this helps.

I'm using WF 3.0, When I removed the check in the box for default template, it show me an other window with the templates. In the "inlbs_part_solid", I can see only 2 parameters: DESCRIPTION and MODELED_BY. And when i try to create the PTC_COMMON_NAME, it tell me that the name is alredy reserved. maybe the parameter is hidded somewhere, how can i have acces to the Templates?

Thanks

Hey Cole,

You are right. The PTC_COMMON_NAME parameter is not within the inlbs_part_solid template. However, by selecting that template (inlbs_part_solid), I am automatically supplied with the PTC_COMMON_NAME parameter whether or not I specify a name in the "New" part dialog. I do not have conifg.pro settings that would do this for me. I always thought that this was standard with the way Pro/E makes parts in WF 2.0 and later. This works on WF 2.0 M190.

However, I tried it with my WF 3.0 (M020) license and you're right, the PTC_COMMON_NAME seems like it cannot be changed when first created in the "New" part dialog. This may be a bug or it may be some name way that WF 3.0 handles Windchill parameters becuase alot of new things in WF 3.0 does this. I have seen some strange new things when it comes to Intralink and Windchill parameters within WF 3.0.

I will look for a bug report.

Hope this helps.

The default decription field when you create a new part should be putting that value into the PTC_COMMON_NAME parameter.

Hey Cole,

I didn't find any bug or article related to changing the common name in WF 3.0. However, in TPI #124152 (titled "The Use of Common Name when Creating a New Object in Wildfire 2.0"), there is a statement:

"For Wildfire 2.0 Common Name is used for data management only. For Wildfire 3.0 (or beyond), it is planned that the "Common Name" will have more applicability in the Pro/ENGINEER User Interface."

I don't know if this means you can no longer change the common name (easily at least) through the parameters, the common name may have become ingrained permanately with the part upon creatation. This might be the reason is claims it is reserved when you change it, it may be created but not allowed to be changed. You cannot even create this parameter if you use the "Empty" template.

I am not expert on this, its just an assumption.

You can change PTC_COMMON_NAME and here's how:

Open your part up in Pro/Engineer. Rename temporarily (do not save) and perform a backup. Go to the physical file and change it to some random name. Reopen in Pro/E and then rename and overwrite the original file which was stored in the Workspace. At this time - but before the save, the option to remane the PTC_COMMON_NAME will be there. It's a workaround however.

Phil

Hi Phil

I've the same problem with common_name, I tryed to follow your step and I was able to modify the common name outside Windchill, but when I saved the file in workspace, the common name changes automatically into the old one, do you have some idea of why?

I' using Pro/E WF3 M180 and Windchil 9.0

Thanks

When working in ProE only. File - Rename and select Rename In Session and you should be able to edit Common Name. Save it afterwards.

I'm on WF 5.0 now but from what I remember it was the same in previous versions.

View attachment 5031

If you've uploaded or checked in to PDMLink it must be changed in PDMLink. If it's still a new object it can be changed in workspace under rename. If it's already checked in you must change it on information page. Note that you might not have the admin rights to change it on the server side after it has been checked in.

Common name in ProE, parameter PTC_COMMON_NAME, is the same as Name in PDMLink.

When working without Windchill another possibility is adding the parameter to your model tree and change it from there. Especially with parts in an assembly this is quick.
Catch is that the ptc_common_name paramater is not listed in the list of parameters in the model tree. But you can manually enter it in and that it is added properly to the list.

How to to this: when in an assembly. Go to the model tree and press on the 'hammer and wrench' button to go to 'edit tree columns'. There switch to 'model parameters' under 'type'. Here there is a list of model parameters, but the common name is not listed. Add this by entering ptc_common_name in the 'name' field and press the >> to move it to the right.
If everything went right in your tree next to the model names the common name is displayed. You can edit this name from here too.

I've never used the common name parameter for anything - I've noticed it was there but never had a use for it and any where I've worked never used it. From what I gather, it's just a way of giving yourself a description what the part might be when looking at a list. Am I on the right track? Funny, it's been since version 16 and I never used this.

It's primary use is for data management. It was introduced in Version 2 of Intralink and used with Windchill and associate to Name. For using with either of these solutions you must rename in Windchill or Intralink in order to change this value. It has no practical use outside of Data management.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back