Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Clamshell packaging

bimbo666

Hi guys,

Anobody have experience on design clamshells, I was designing a lot of them, butwith the traditional method that is copying all the surfaces between the produscts it will hold on. Butone people toldme that is possibble to make it througha shrinkwrapfacet model.

For those who don'tr know what the the clamshells are made for, here is a little explanation:

Clamshells are vacuum-formed plastic packages that are used to enclose and present products. Clamshell packaging requires minimal space and is a lightweight form of packaging. Typically, clamshells consist of one or more hinges. Both single-hinged clamshells and multi-hinged clamshells allow the product to be hung up on store pegs, but the multi-hinged clamshell can also provide a flat base so that the product can be presented on a shelf.

Best regards

Merry Christmas

Pablo ulloa

deepLABS used to do those for Home Depot quite a bit years ago for Hand Bags etc.

for my plastics class i go thru a process or two that works with shrinkwrap.There is more to do than just create the shrink wrap tho.... It is not as simple to just suggest creating a clam sheel all in itself.

Process works a little like this:

1 create the shrink of the assembly you have in mind. Use simplified reps of the assembly if necessary.

2 offset the shrink wrap if possible

3 create surfaces that are robust and tied to the shrinkwrap geometry

4 create the clam shell geometry from that surface geometry.

5 solidify and send out for prototypes

China does all that free

Edited by: design-engine

Bart,

Thanks in advance to share th procedure you might do!!!

Have a nice christmas and a happy new year.

Regards

Pablo

maybe ill make another video tutorial for making clam shell products over the Christmas holiday? you should have enough to go on with the written description above tho.

for simple ones, I am using both methods but most of time, I am designing it independently (without refrence surfaces) but in the assy mode and making sketches ets according to assy parts. For complex ones, I didnt make any complex one, as normally these are all simples. But who can say I will never face it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back