Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

calculating total surface area

damech

I have a question regarding having pro-e figure the total surface area. I will explain and give example. Basically depending on how much wind there is on a given day, the users of our rigs will not be able to work until the wind dies down because of the height of our structure. The wind speed is not yet known on when the rig will stop being used. Basically looking for a way to figure entire surface area of parts on a given plane or surface. The srtucture for this example is like a crane structure where you have tubes in a zig-zag structure or like on a bridge truss support. There are open areas on a specific plane along with the tube surfaces that the wind would hit. Say there are 100 tubes on a particular surface but there are numerous different size tubes being used.

I could just go through and analasis/measure/area for each individual tube and then add them all up for total surface area the wind would contact. Wondering if there is a way to selectmore than 1 tube surface at a time to calculate total surface area wind would be in contact with for each given plane?

Thanks for the input

damech

Not a complete answer but I think you can do that using an annotation feature. The annotation can complete the calculation and display that analysis info in the part, assembly or drawing.I did it once with cross sectional area.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back