Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bring back Incomplete Feature option

mjcole_ptc

I find it annoying that you can no longer create incomplete features.

This used to be a good option when defining a feature that requires additional reference curves that you might want to use for a Variable sweep or any other feature.
With incomplete features you could select all the references you wanted such as Origin Trajectory and Constant or Variable section and any other references that have been created and then leave the feature incomplete and come back to redefine it later.

As it is now on WF2 If you had gone through the selection of your references and noticed that one was missing, you have to cancel out of the feature and waste time or select garbage references to finish the feature incorrectly.

It's a shame to have to watch the quality of Pro/E go down the tubes when useful functionality gets removed just to be put back later.

Michael

Nope,

The pause tool only works for Inserting Datum Planes, Points, Axes even Sketches but not additional features like intersects offsets or other features.

If you were redefining a feature you can suppress is create the features needed and Redefine. But if the feature hasn't been fully completed you can't suppress it.

Michael

Mixed Blessings

I'm still finding models littered with incomplete features, created by them who had incomplete features hidden in the model tree and never bothered to weed them out.

I could sign up for their return only if they were limited to in session use only. No saving of incomplete features allowed.

Glenn - Great idea on the surface, but that may get frustrating as well. I can imagine at the end of the day of working through a complex design change and needing to shut down but not be ready to complete those features. I can't save my part without fixing them, however. Not to mention not being able to save as you go about making changes.

I do agree that there needs to be a better way to manage them, but I have at times missed the ability to leave it unfinished for now. Pause mode works most of the time.
Edited by: dgs

All,

Gotta say that I was very happy when they got rid of that little gimmick. The amount of parts (especially SM) that I had to fix after some of the less experienced guys who worked with me 'modelled' really got on my nerves. The attitude that 'well its there, so I can use it when ever I want, and damn the next user' drove me mad. There were many blazing arguments and door slamming sessions.

Nowadays, these guys have found that you can freeze components in an assembly rather than redefine them and have brought their special brand of chaos to the assembly level as well.

People. Can't live with 'em, can't....actually sometimes just plain can't live with 'em

Kev

I never have understood what the 'pause' button did in Wildifre. Press it / don't press it. It doesn't make one hell of a difference to you when you're creating datums-on-the-fly.

Phil

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back