Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Blend question

zmarcoz

Dear all,

I am using ProE 5 and using BLEND for my model. I need to create more than 15 sections. I need to use dimension information in each section, but I don't want to change any OLD section dimension (Or be visually interrupt by the old section). How I can set this? I set to disable dimension information, but this also disable the current section dimension. What I should do?

Thanks

you could do a General Blend instead of a Parallel blend.

Just keep in mind that you need to place a sketcher co-
ordinate system in every section and the blend uses these
Csys to align the sections. Also note that after every
section is complete, you will be prompted to enter angle of
rotation along all 3 axes, which you can set to 0 if you
dont want any rotation.

I would question why you want 15 sections.Maybe a better way to approach the problem is to discuss first your plan of attack.

We have had prosthetic groups come for Surfacing training and each one was convinced that they needed 15 curves in one direction and 15 in another. Each time we have gotten the number down below 4 or 5 curves.

Blend is a fairly poor tool. I think they've kept it around for posterity...

A better option would be a swept blend or boundary blend. Either would require data entry before the actual feature but this will actually give you more control over the sections.

One thing that has always bothered me is the only option in the blend tool is to measure one section from the last (not from the origin): a pretty poor dimensioning scheme for many applications.

If you have a bunch of detailed sections that basically run in a "straight line" then you can create a single line. If there is some form of curvature between the sections, you can create a spline that connects the sections and give yourself more control over the path of the blend.

I make my students use a blend to show them what a pain-in-the... the old feature interfaces were and then show them how swept-blend and vss have replaced blend and sweep with more efficiency and control.

If there are any shapes/forms/features where an old blend would be a better option, please let me know (especially Bart) - I've been telling my students that there is none and if there is a good example to contradict this statement I would like to share that with them.

You could also create the 15 sketches using the sketch curve function and when in the blend command you can use the edges of your sketched curves. This also makes the sketches easier to modify later on if needed. Then you don't have to deal with all those dimensions. This will add 15 more features to your model tree but is worth it in the long run.

if you want to go with krow72.s way, then i suggest you use general blend (instead of parallell) and " select section" instead of " sketch section" . then you can pick your already sketched sections. (or maybe thats what krow72 means?)

I would consider if blend is the way to go here, i would probably go for the already mentioned Boundaryblend.

//Tobias
Edited by: tobbo

Tobias - sorry if my post was confusing. We are saying the same thing. As an old school pro-e user, I have found that using curves is more robust and will give you less failures than internal sketches. This gives you more features but makes the models more "bullet proof" in my opinion.

krow72 said:
Tobias - sorry if my post was confusing. We are saying the same thing. As an old school pro-e user, I have found that using curves is more robust and will give you less failures than internal sketches. This gives you more features but makes the models more "bullet proof" in my opinion.

Couldn

Tobias - you make me feel old
smiley36.gif
. Release 9 in 1992.

Wow -v9, I still have trouble imagining a single digit version...I started in 1994 and I think it was v17, it has grown a bit from them.

I still think the swept blend is the best method to match the "old" blend. If it is a bunch of sections, you can use a straight line for the "sweep" portion. The main reason is the new dashboard interface over the old box pop-ups. When I try to work my students through the old blend they get a little mixed up after doing everything with the new interface.

If you need a governing curve to drive end to end then you can use a curved edge connecting the sections.

Any reasons for an old, general blend over a swept-blend?

Definitely external sections though. I like internal sketches but when it gets to more than one or two sections it can be a bit dangerous.

All you young pups here.
smiley2.gif

I started in 1988 with R2 (saw a demo of R1) & went to the first users group meeting in 1990.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back