Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

bend radii not shown with flanged walls

brullan

Our company routinely includes a flat pattern to go along with the formed part when sending out drawings of sheet-metal partsfor fabrication. I noticed when creating a flanged wall (includingall the sides of the first wall), the bend radii will not appear in any view of my drawings. I have to sketch them in. This does not happen when creating each wall individually, however.

Any advice

It worked for me... what version of Pro are you running?

Do you want to show it in the flat pattern?
Edited by: spidernate

Sorry, I meant the bend axes. I normally see these when creating individual walls, but when I create flanged walls encompassing all the adjacent walls in one feature, they don't appear.

I do not have an answer to your problem, but do offer some advise to save your company time and money. Do not produce flat pattern drawings to send to your sheetmetal vendor. I have worked in the sheetmetal deisgn and manufacturing industry for 25 years. We never use a customers flat layout to quote to orbuild to. Tolerances of sheet stock vary from +/-.003 (on thin sheet stock) to +/-.012 (on thick sheet stock). The sheet manufacturer charges by the pound, at the nominal thickness, but the sheet stock normally comes in under tolerance so they actually make a little more moneyper pound. Most sheet metal vendors (forming houses), such as the one I work for, adjust tooling for that range of thickness tolerance. We work with bending tolerances of +/-.010over multiple bends. If you design usingnominal thickness for 14 guageAlum. (of .063"), and we get sheet stockof .061" thick, wewould be off .010 over 5 bends.You must also take into account the "BA" (bend allowance) of the material you are using to get the correct "developed" size.Material actually stretches as it is being bent, so your flat sheet must actually be shorter than your finished formed part.Depending on whatthickness you use to design your part is usuallydiferent than what the sheetmetal vendor will use to produce your part. Therefore the overflat size will be different. Anyway, to get a quick quote from your vendor, the flat layout might be helpful. But to get an accurate part, your vendor should always work with your formed, dimensioned drawing, not the flat layout.

I really appreciate your response. I work at a company where management insists the flat patterns be sent with each drawing of the formed part. Don't ask me why, I believe it's because one of the sheet metal fabricators told us it would save us money if we created the flat for them.

I will forward your response to our managers so they can be aware of the consequences of creating flats.

Brullan,

This is a bug and is corrected in WF4. There were a lot of strange behaviours when using multiple edges and flange walls in WF3 eg difficulties in attaching another flat or flange wall.

If it is box type square design I would suggest creating it in standard and then do a sheetmetal conversion. We have templates (startparts) that are prepared so that the box is finished and you edit dimensions to your need and then continues to add walls or cuts.

Magnus

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back