Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bamboozled by PTC Again!

finkgs2007

I just recieved the "maintenance minute" email from PTC, and the first topic is how Wildfire 4.0 is NOW compatible with Intralink 3.4. We were told all along thatit would not be compatible and that we would have to upgrade to either PDMlink 8.0 or Intralink 8.0 if we wanted to upgrade to WF4.

Now, three weeks into our upgrade to both WF4 and IL9 we're still struggling with PTC and the reseller to get all of the bugs worked out. WF4 seems to be working fine but IL9 is not up to snuff with IL3.4. Updating your work space takes anywhere from 2-6 minutes when it only took about 1 minute in the old version. It's faster to create a new workspace and start with the lastest versions of all objects than it is to get a successful update of the original workspace.

Thinking of upgrading? Beware!

That funny, we have the same problem with intralink and have been told by a ptc per that it we pay some guy to come here that he can fix the world for us and even train us on how to do it. Its kind of funny that ptc keeps adding the old intralink into newer versions of pro?

I guess I'm confused. PTC listened to the customers and added IL 3.4 support that they hadn't planned into WF4. Sounds like accommodation rather than bamboozling.

Not sure who told you that'all along', but this has been known for some time. It was originally not planned, but the plan to integrate IL 3.4 & WF4 was announced a while ago, I know prior to the PTC|User conference in June.

Sounds like someone missed the announcement, maybe your VAR or PTC rep or the admin at your company. Maybe that's who you should be frustrated with.

Doug,

To clarify It was PTC and the VAR telling us that WF4 would not work with IL3.4. They did say that you could buy extended support for IL3.4 but we would have to continue to use WF2 with it or at best we could upgrade to WF3. Eventually the extended support of IL3.4 will end.

The bottom line is this: When you buy a new product you expect that it will perform at least as good as it's predecessor -- IL9.0 does not do that. My advice for everyone out there is to stay with IL3.4.

the official change in policy was posted on the intralink advisor site back in October 2007.WF4.0 would work with Ilink 3.4M060to be shipped in june 2008.

last May/JunePTC announced that all maintenance paying customers would get M060 without paying the additional 10% because m060 would not ship until after the deadline.

Ilink 9.1 will be the first release to be a full replacement of Ilink 3.4. and that is a little of a stretch. Speaking of stretching in I9.1 you will be able to stretch the column width on a table display as touted by hepplemann at the PTC/USER conference. Things that make you go "WHAT????" Ilink 9.1 should be pre-production shipping shortly for preview.

Joe

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back