Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

Automation

paulstern

Just wondering if any of you are taking advantage of automation in nc model creation. I am looking for anyone who might be doing the following:
<UL>
<LI>Sequence patterning</LI>
<LI>Subroutine usage</LI>
<LI>NC Start Models</LI>
<LI>creating frequently used tool paths from MUDF's</LI>
<LI>generating parameter/tool info from external databases</LI>[/list]

Any examples of how you are doing this would be helpful for the group. Thanks,

peterbrown77

Paul,

We use Pro/NC extensively, almost exclusively 3 & 4 axis milling. Multiple workpieces are the norm, so almost every program has subroutines - but we don't pattern sequences.

We do use NC start models, but only a few and they just have the basic features (default planes, 4 csys's at 0,90,180,270). Some of the default parameters are set, such as CUTCOM ON and RETRACT_FEED set to 0. No tools are preloaded.

We use solid tool assemblies from a library we created (everything is stored in Intralink, by the way). The speeds/feeds database is a work in progress - and probably always will be! I've never seen a manufacturer's milling speed/feeds that worked in 'real life' though holemaking speeds/feeds seem to be fairly close.

We don't have any UDFs but after watching Francois' tutorial on the new autodrill functionality in 2.0 I may create some (they're required for it). It is available on the Pro/Collaborate site.

Regards
Peter Brown

wsylvester

Paul.

generating parameter/tool info from external databases

I have found using Visual Basic a very useful tool for this

It's pretty easy to code and customize for your specific needs.

Compile it to a exe, Put a shortcut on quick launch and it's always there when you want it.

Sponsor