Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Autocad to Solidworks

denisvan

Can anyone tell me,in basic terms,what the process is to convert a Solidworks 3 view orthographic drawing into an Autocad format.I don't need a step by step description just a basic explanation.I know many of you read these posts and don't reply but please, if you have an answear for this one give me a shout.I am trying to sell my boss on Solidworks and this is one of his concerns. I am 99% certain you can but would like to know for sure.
Thank you.

Save as DWG of DXF format.....
smiley1.gif

Depending on the complexity of the part, you may have a bit of work to do to convert the AutoCAD drawing into a SW model, but yes, it can be done. The DXF or DWG is imported in as a sketch into SW and then can be used as the basis of the model.

The main thing is that the AutoCAD file saves you redrawing the entire sketch and can be used as references but SW wont actually convert the file straight into a 3D model automatically.

Hope that helps and come back with any more questions.

Denisvan,

Guru.hm is correct, but be carefull when you select the DXF/DWG format for saving check in the option that the output scale is 1:1 you can also choose to do the sheets individulally, if they are scaled different this goes very wrong for you.

I have always saved the sheets individually and add the suffix of S1-S2 ect after the drawing # the DWG's get very big when you have isometric views of a 3 D parts.

Paul.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back