Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly relation to modify part

Hang64

All,

I am trying to use an assembly relation to drive dimensions of a part.

I have a belt drive and I use assembly relations to set the belt length and the diameter of the pulleys it goes around.

for example,

belt_pulley_dia1:382=4.00
belt_pulley_dia2:382=6.50

if I highlight the left side of the equation the dimension appears in the model assembly. If I ask to evaluate the left side of the equation the result is 3.00 (default of the part). When I regenerate the assembly, nothing changes.

This worked flawlessly in WF2 and since we've upgraded to WF4 I've had problems... with this assembly and others.

Anybody know why my assembly relationship isn't flowing down to the part?

Thank you.

DanJ
Cincinnati, Ohio

I would not use an equation. Instead, I would design it in the context of the assembly. Assuming I do not have AAX...

Create a part in assembly mode say belt.prt.

While drawing the sketch for the belt, reference the circumference of the pulleys to draw a belt sweep profile. Rest is plain sweeping the belt cross-section around the sweep profile. This ensures that as either the pulley diameters or the center distances change the belt perimeter changes.

Point to note: Endless Belts normally come with fixed perimeters or lengths. It is then essential to change the center distance. One may do this by defining the perimeter dimension at a HIGHER LEVEL, from where both the Center distance of the pulleys is determined.

Hello Srini,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I cannot change the design as this situation is common throughout our Engineering Design group.

Another engineer came to me with a similar problem. A Hydraulic Cylinder was added to an assembly and an assembly relation used to set the extension of therod. This used to work without a problem and now does not since the upgrade to WF4.

I know a 'flexible' part would be an answer but we do not have the correct Pro/E modules for flexible parts.

Any other ides what might have changed from WF2 to WF4?

Thank you,

DanJ, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Its been a while with no other responses to my problem. The solution in our case was to upgrade to the next build level. Apparently a bug was fixed. We updated to M150 and all worked again.
Edited by: Hang64

Hi,

I have a problem with family table in assembly mode.

I assembled all the generic parts in an assembly but few parts made in the assembly modeusing the component create option don't want to move together with those parts where i had previously connected their sketches.Everytime they are displayed at the same place, where i placed them in the generic asm.For example,if i choose instance_100.asm from my family table everything can be generated but these created components are never in contact with the surface where i mated it,shown in the generic position.

Have you got any idea to solve it?

hi guys,
i am new to proe 5.last week i faced an interview, they
asked me to create a parametric BOM.i don't know how to
create. i create using repeat region.
can any one pl's explain. i am waiting for your favourable
reply.
thanks in advance

spirit23 said:
Hi,

I have a problem with family table in assembly mode.

I assembled all the generic parts in an assembly but few parts made in the assembly modeusing the component create option don't want to move together with those parts where i had previously connected their sketches.Everytime they are displayed at the same place, where i placed them in the generic asm.For example,if i choose instance_100.asm from my family table everything can be generated but these created components are never in contact with the surface where i mated it,shown in the generic position.

Have you got any idea to solve it?

You need to constrain your generic components to the assembly.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back