Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

assembly management

hamer sikkel

<DIV =post>hello,

I'am new to this forum so I hope you could help me with a (big) problem I encounter:
how to use properly the search_path_file asset in de config.pro ?
I added the commandline: search_path_file
value: zoekpaden.text

my working space consist of the file zoekpaden.text and the correct config.pro file
I added the correct search lines in the zoekpaden.text files
I think the problem could be incorrect use of syntax.
Use Creo Elements 5.0, if someone with experience could assist me ?

thank you for help</DIV><BR clear=all>

The syntax should be something like this:

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">search_path_file c:\path\to\file\filename.txt
</div>
I don't think the name or extension matters (mine is named search.pro). You definitely need the full path.

The search path file should have 'search_path' followed byt the full path to the folders you want to search, each on it's own line:

<div style="margin-left: 40px;">search_path f:\folder\to\search
search_path f:\another\folder\to\search

</div>

does not work for me very well;

for clarification: I will write down my settings:

config.pro :

search_path_file C:\Users\jurgen\Desktop\CAD\pro engineer\gsm\zoekpaden.text

zoekpaden.text:

search_path C:\Users\jurgen\Desktop\CAD\pro engineer\gsm\lens
search_path C:\Users\jurgen\Desktop\CAD\pro engineer\gsm\front_cover

not possible to open the assembly. I hadve no idea what's wrong.

thank you for your help

You have spaces in your search path.

You need some kind of quote marks, I'm not sure which. I avoid that problem by never using spaces in file names. You could replace the spaces with underscores or hyphens.

dr_gallup is correct. Not sure why any operating system thought it would be good to allow spaces in paths, but now the entire world has adopted it, EXCEPT PTC!

Also, my search.pro does not contain the "search_path" prefix. It is just a list of directories and works just fine. <tg>

enclose in double quotations " " to get the spaced name to be read.

search_path_file "C:\Users\jurgen\Desktop\CAD\pro engineer\gsm\zoekpaden.text"

What I do is copy my config.pro file to the directory and rename it to match my part (ex. part1.pro). Then I edit the part1.pro and at the end add all my "search_path" directories there. When I change directory to my part directory I open this part1.pro and everything works great.
Edited by: krow72

still not any good result,

I was thinking: is there maybay any setting for pro engineer to work with the search_path_file attribute, something to activate it

What does work is include al the search_path sentencesin my search.pro file, but it's not very handy, because I use different PC and then I have to change every time the directory names...

what alse could be the problem...?

thank you !

The search paths are only read in when you start ProE. As far as I know, there's still no way to add a path interactively during a session. So you will need to exit and restart ProE after making changes.

Each computer can have its own search.pro, or if you have a common network drive, you can put it out on the network and point to it with the search_path_file setting in your config.pro's.

If you need to create a quick list of directories and subdirectories so it will search them all, you can open a command prompt and execute the following:

cd (to the top directory that contains all of your parts)

dir /ad /s /b >> search.pro

This will create a search.pro for you that you can then point to from your config.pro.

You can add search paths at any time just by loading another config file with additional paths. Every time we launch Pro/E we change the working directory the the desired project directory and load the config.pro file in that directory. That will load the search paths and any other project specific settings.

You should setup every PC with identical file structure for the CAD data. We don't put any CAD data (not even Pro/E itself) on any PC. Just mount one network drive and run it from there. Works exactly the same for everyone and very easy to administer.

I've added paths to my search.pro before (I don't use the individual search_path's in my config.pro) but they don't take effect until I restart ProE. Don't know why I never tried that, or don't remember figuring it out.
smiley9.gif
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back