Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly and Part File Locations

Panamonium

Hi,

This a general question on assemblies.

The way we run the folder structure for our products means that we have a separate folder for each unique part [folder name is the part number and the description]. Within that folder is the pro-e model [.prt] for the part and detailed manufacturing .drw file.

When I come to make an assembly of these parts [In a new folder]it seems that I have to move all the part models into the same folder as the assembly. If I don't and create the assembly leaving the parts in their original locations, when I try to re open the assembly at a later date the assembly looses the path to the parts and gives a missing part error. I then have to redefine all the part paths again.

This seems a bit tedious and I

Pro|E doesn't remember where files are. You can define a search path file and specify directories where Pro|E should look for files. You'd need a line for each and every folder, in your case one line for every part.

It looks for the part files for an assembly first in memory, then in
the directory the assy was opened from (if different from the working
directory), then the working directory and finally the search paths in the order they are defined.

With each part in its own folder, you are going to have a lot of search path entries which is going to slow down retrieval times significantly. I'd suggest a change in policy to reduce the number of sub-directories you store your files in dramatically.

You can also use the search_path_file option in config.pro. Make it point at a file called search.pro. Store all of your paths in this file.

Bob in SRQ

As explained above by both, the search path option is what your looking for. To be honest, its bonkers having each single component in seperate directories. If they are part of the same assembly why not just have the main folder as " assembly 1 " with all your parts inside ?

I sometimes get frustrated with the search_path options etc so I cheat alittle and just Copy parts into different assembly directories, obviously be careful doing this is you have ascotiativity though and want things to update automatically.

If you only have a handful of parts, search_path would be OK. nightmare for me who deals with thousands !!

I have setup the search path option to look into folders which are required by all assy. Such as bolts, fittings,orings, partsetc.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I create a new config.pro for each ass

to reinforce what Skint is saying, you need to change your filing system because, to be honest, unless you only ever deal in single parts, having one component per folder is friggin stupid and if you ever got to the stage of having 10,000 let alone 100,000 live files, you would have enormous problems.

You need to organise your parts and assemblies into logical groups. For my purposes I have customer\project folders of job specific components and library folders of common shared component. Also I keep drawings in a subfolder of the project folder to keep things tidier and also because they are not required to be on search paths.

DB

I agree with DB and skint... Somehow i hate search
paths.. in the absence of a data manager software it
makes sense to me to keep all the files in one single
working directory. your assemblies then contain all the
parts and becomes the file structure. Though this is not
an ideal solution, this is a better way. There is one
danger though... if a part occurs in more that one
assembly, in the absence of a data manager, you will
never know.
Search the forum for "find my mother". somebody had
posted a utility software.

We have a folder with shared parts such as fasteners and any miscellaneous components, and a folder for each assembly model with its unique parts.
The fasteners are split into subfolders for bolts, washers, bearings etc. We set our working directory as the required assembly directory and have a search path file in the config which looks thru the shared parts folders.

This works pretty well.

brenyw,
I agree to the extent that this method works well for
parts you know are SHARED typically fasteners and other
purchased parts.
However when you use a make part in more than one
assembly, the trouble begins. In most companies, the
make parts are also standardized to reduce cost.

Try starting a new thread with an appropriate title rather than adding to an unrelated one. You'll get more responses. Also, be more specific on what you're confused about. Style is a complex feature, there's a lot to explain.

Vishnu,
I agree with dgs. This being a new topic open a new
post. Further, the style function is a pandora's box and
has lot of functionality which is impossible to expain
in a forum. You are encouraged to read the help files on
surface modeling, visit youtube for videos on surface
modeling and style function.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back