Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ASME Y14.41-2003 -- New CAD Standard

G

ASME Y14.41-2003: Digital Product Definition Data Practices

http://www.asme.org/codes/pr/y1441.html

This specification will be released in August 2003. However, I was wondering if anyone had any insider information on the spec and how it pertains to Pro/E, or how Pro/E pertains to it. Does anyone know more than what's listed on their web page? Will your company adopt the standards?

Hi Jason,

I heard about this while attending the User Conf. When I mentioned it to our VP he said get it. I called ASME to inquire and just recently recvd a price quote for the new std. According to the quote I recvd the std won't be ready until mid Sept but the web site still says mid August.

Can't say for sure about adopting it until having the chance to study the text.

Being a member of ASME, I did a little background research and found out that there are no specifications for any individual CAD systems, but more over a set of standards for overall 3 dimensional design and detailing. It is a start to a long needed overhaul of 3D design. Hopefully, this standard will help in the interoperability issues off all CAD systems.

Jason, please keep us posted on what's going on with the new spec with regards to Pro/E and other CAD packages. You seem to have an ear for this kind of stuff.

Steve C

Doesn't Wildfire have a config option to allow 3D dimensioning? Isn't this the first step towards Y14.41 - 2003?

Personally, I'm just trying to get better at modeling in Wildfire before I go jump off in the deep end.

Steve C

Wildfire 2.0 has support for Y14.41. They are called annotation features, and you are now able to completely do away with drawings.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back