Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

add axis to center of slot

tyedi

Hi, I'm on W2.0.

Can anyone tell me how to add an axis to the center ofa slot? I need to assemble a rack component with slots and would like to constrain it with an axis to the threaded hole on the rack. I know I can add datum planes to the slot to find the center and then add the axis, but I'm looking for a quick way with less features...

Thanks...Di

To create an ais at the center of the slot, on the top toolbar, select Insert, Model Datum, Point, Sketched. When creating the sketch, select the radii at the end of the slot for reference. Sketch two construction circles, one at each CL of the reference radii. Add constraints to make them "equal radii" and "tangent". Sketch a centerline between the centers of the circles. Sketch a point at the intersection.

View attachment 2389

Now create an axis using the point and normal to the bottom surface.

View attachment 2390

And you have it.

You can add an axis directly while in Sketcher when you create your slot.

Go to top menu SKETCHER -> Add AXIS point

I usually draw a line connecting the two centres of the rounds at either end, then right click and toggle contruction to make it a construction line.

Then I add the axis point at the MIDpoint of the line.

TJK

Tobyk,

Thanks for the tip!! I've been doing it with planes, and thought it was kind of cumbersome. I tried it your way and it worked great.

Bob

Hey all!

We've moved up to WF2 (M240) and when I go to "sketch " on the top menu, the "axis point" is grayed out. All theitems are available except for "axis point" and "feature tools." Anyone have an idea why this would be? This was a great way to add a centerline in the middle of a slot.

TIA

Bob

Agree with csussie, create internal sketches with the extrude, then you can select the axis point from the menu. creating a sketch then extrude then add planes, then sketch circles, then add a point, then add a axis. Common guys ......

dojo

You can also keep your external sketches and then edit sketch during your extrusion. You will be told that editing the sketch will make it internal and break associativity.

Ignore this PTC stupidity and delete the sketch entities and use the Use Edge icon and Select Loop as selection type and pick any curve in the external sketch.
This will give you an associative section equal to what you'd have by creating the feature with the external sketch.

Then sketch a construction line between the arc centers.
Sketch a line between the center points. Right Click and select Construction.
Or select the line and hit CTRL+G to Toggle Construction.
Sketch your axis point on the midpoint of this line, it will make for a cleaner sketch.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Thanks guys!

I was starting with 'extrude' then going to the the sketch icon. Because it would put the sketch in the extrude group and hide it, I thought this was considered internal. After finding the define button in the placement area, all is well. Just seems odd to me though that all the options in sketch menu would be available the other way except 'axis point.'

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back