Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Display Zoom scale 1:1 on screen

stbassoc

I used to have available to me a map key that would display the model on my screen at scale of 1:1

This was a quick "reality check" and helpful to avoid whatI call ILGOC or:
"It Looked Good On Cad"

If anyone has or could suggest a method to do this it would be helpful to all.

Regards,
STB

Create a drawing view at 1:1 and print it out.

Neither Pro/E nor any other software program knows if you are viewing the model on a 14" monitor or a 30" monitor so there is no way to show a 1:1 image. Besides, you are working with a fully dimensioned solid model, you should have a good feel for how big it is!

Only way is to print it out. I work for a tool shop that builds very large molds. The boss always wants to see a full size print. I'moften dragging a 8' long sheet of paper down the hallway!
smiley5.gif

A 1:1 button would be a great little addition, especially if your moving towards being paperless. I'm all for it.

dr_gallup said:
Neither Pro/E nor any other software program knows if you are viewing the model on a 14" monitor or a 30" monitor so there is no way to show a 1:1 image. Besides, you are working with a fully dimensioned solid model, you should have a good feel for how big it is!

You can tell the program that you have a 19" monitor. Software can investigate video settings and getwhat resolution is running. So there is no reason why a 1:1 setting would be impossible.

Outside CAD Corel has got a 1:1 zoom button for as long as I know. And since someone pointed out that it can be set on the Catia I'm working on now, I must admit that it is a usefull thing to get a grip on reality. Before this I used to investigate the dimensions of the thing I was looking at and then take my rulers to grip it at the same distance, just to get the overall idea.

So yes, for common humans it is a good thing to be able to look at something real scale.

Alex

1:1 in Corel means it is pixel for pixel, has nothing to do with an actual size. The size will vary depending on how many pixels per inch your monitor has. Resolution means nothing, you could be using a 60" plasma HDTV or a 14" monitor at the same resolution.

What good is 1:1 if you are working on a battle ship or a mems device? Either one will show nothing on the screen. I usually put a 1:1 view on the drawing (size permitting) but I just don't see the point on the monitor. Maybe after all these years I just have a good idea of how big a micron, millimeter & meter are.

Feel free to ask PTC for it but don't hold your breath.

One of my old bosses always asked to see the CADmodelsfull size on the screen and despite many attempts to explain why it couldn't be done he still insisted. The only way I could kind of get close was put a ruler on the screen and get a known dimension on the model to that size. That kept him kind of happy and off my back, though he atill got frustrated that you couldn't press one button and there it was full size.

I never really saw the point though!!!

Dr has a good point with the battle ship and mems device (assuming it is something small). But every once and a while I to find myself reaching for my scale sometimes just to get a reality check on size. Thats because I don't want to take the time and place a view on a drawing and print it. I really rather not print something if I don't have to. And for you michael, one thing you could do is draw a line to a specific length and measure it on the screen. You won't be exact in your zoom, but you will be pretty close or keep making drawings.

Hmmmmmmmmmm......... That reminds me of of AutoCAD days.... When I was new to autocad (Transision from Drawing board to Computer). I would often get the visualisation problem. I followed the procedure detailed below....

1. Take a measure scale...

2. measure the screen width.

3. Orient the component to any one of the Orthographic views...

4. measure between any two points on the model.

5. Dynamic zoom to get the measurement on the scale.

6. Save the view.

Now you can PAN or SPIN except ZOOM to view the model 1:1 on the screen.

dr_gallup said:
1:1 in Corel means it is pixel for pixel, has nothing to do with an actual size. The size will vary depending on how many pixels per inch your monitor has. Resolution means nothing, you could be using a 60" plasma HDTV or a 14" monitor at the same resolution.

What good is 1:1 if you are working on a battle ship or a mems device? Either one will show nothing on the screen. I usually put a 1:1 view on the drawing (size permitting) but I just don't see the point on the monitor. Maybe after all these years I just have a good idea of how big a micron, millimeter & meter are.

Feel free to ask PTC for it but don't hold your breath.

Taking some time to read before answering can be a help.

I said that IF you have the monitor size AND you have the resolution you (or the program) can work out what 1:1 means. In Corel DRAW (not Paint) the 1:1 was implemented by a screen with rulers that you could enlarge or shrink while measuring with a true ruler until screen and ruler thicks matched. I've noticed meanwhile that it is no longer there in Corel 10, what I'm working with, but it was there in previous versions and it worked well.

I'l also working with the 1:1 scale in Catia right now and it works excellent, so don't go and tell me that it is impossible.

Alex

I used one to one all the time with Cadkey. I work with small parts and it was indeed very useful to me. I think it is ridiculous that ProE doesn't have such a function.

Tom

What I am doing when my computer illiterate clients ask me to show model or assy at full scale, like srinivasanayyer do. But I am doing it with vernier.
How you are doing it in Catia Alex? Please tell me, I am working on Catia v5r17 too.
Besides all the discussion, if anyone get this functionality, its not bad at all. We normally don't need the scale view, but our clients and bosses always ask for weird things and we need to do that. We cant see a battle ship and a big mold completly on the screen at full scale, but what we can see is not bad to do guys.

Hold a physical ruler on your screen and zoom your model to the same scale, say 1" plate or something. Just pan and rotate with Alt and Shift. Works for everyone..

I've just tried measuring the graphics area of my screen and drawing a scale rectangle in Pro/E. I then zoomed around and squinted with my head tilted and one eye closed (precision engineering), till the edges of my rectangle were lined up with the graphics area, and saved the view. It worked fine until I added or changed something outside the rectangle, then Pro/E tried to be clever and re-scaled the view.

To get round this, I drew an even bigger rectangle (my modelling skills were now close to the limit) that was bigger then the whole model was likely to get, and re-saved the view and hid the rectangles. This works fine but the standard views re-scale to fit the big rectangle. I'm not sure if you get use mapkeys to suppress features, but they do you could possibly set one up to resume the rectangles, and set the 1:1 view, and another to suppress the rectangles again.

Cheers,

Sam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back