Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Final suggestions

Speling

Suggestions for starting techniques, length and rules for first competition.

I think we already make decisions about main things and my opinion is if we want to start we can do that as soon as possible

Now I think this could actually work
smiley2.gif

I have few minor things to add and correct so I have sent you PM. I can post this things here if you want.
Edited by: Isair

Let this be final. Admin is requested to finalize this and start the competition in the first week of coming April.

Israr

I am not notified about any deadline in case of finishing all jobs concerning competition but I have done what I can

Also - people who enter their real name, will this be available for public viewing? maybe some people would not like this?

typical example - both you and your boss read MCAD, because yo uuse an alias your boss doesn't know how ling yo uspend on MCAD - but if he sees your name and alias then he will!

this doesn;t actually apply to me (my alias is my name) but I could see it as a problem!

James

has anybody else been asked to log in (with a windows dialog box) to this site on all posts with pictures or downloadson them?

It got hacked at the weekend James.. Possibly there are a few remaining bugs. Tho i havent been asked to log in yet !

Taz

Login pop-up : I have the same problem. Cancelling lets you enter but the pictures are gone.

Did you read my remarks on altering the voting scale from being 0-10 ? I wrote a message - and really am quite convinced it's better - suggesting a "-5 0 +5" scale.

Nickname should be sufficient for entering competition as James suggested, no unwantedconsequences should come out as a result. If the judges have the complete data, and they alone, things should work fine.

I think that this is everything, and that we should start to solve technical issues about competition.
I have add to web based 3D viewer comment about on what would public voting (3d model or picture).

Hey, guys. Sorry to
be out of the loop for so long. Life
happens. I had a baby on March 17. After about a week off I got back into
working 60 hours a week, so my time to spend on this has been very
limited. It looks like you've labored hard and long to get where you are now. Great work! Now that much of the
competition has been worked out I can start putting what you came up with into
action.

1. Techniques
for voting,

Competition task for work will be unknown until the start of competition.

Decision about task is obligation of committee (Judges only)

Do ya think Simon will pop on and do some judging for us
smiley36.gif
.... LOL..

Joking aside.. Admin is right... Time is a big issue, and i also think that too many rules ang regs will take all fun out of the competition.

keep it simple.. Keep it fun !

Take a look at the competitions that the other users have been setting themselves. They are actually quite good.

Taz

Well I think the main reasons for starting a committee was to get of course a central group to start competitions, coordinate the workingand/or decide on suggestions on subjects, evaluation, etcetera ... but also to get a core group of professional CADpeople.

Special voting by committee members can IMHO only be justified when it looks into the professionalism of the entries. This is : general setup of the models, use of the functionality, robustness of the models, ease of modification, ... But I'm also aware that thereare people out there that are far more professional than I am, probably in general, and surely in special uses of the software that I haven't even touched the surface.

So why limit voting on "professionalism" to committee members ? Even excluding some entries because they're "too poor" can just as well be noticed by average users.

BUT : the evaluation I mentioned above regarding "professionalism" can only be done based on the real models ! If voting is done based on a webviewer then there is no way to know if a design will go as far as being an adaptive assembly or in the contrary will be based on models that 'explode in your face' when you touch one parameter. We could reserve the CAD-evaluation to committee members, but preferably only as a last step to limit time input in the matter. Even then it will ask for good communication on why a particular (not so popular) entry was judged to be better than what the voters decided to be best.

Another point of concern is deciding on criteria. Without further explanation even I have a problem with discriminating "concept" and "design", as shown on the model of the voting form.

Sorry if I raise more questions than I give answers.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back