Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Simple Data Management Solution?

laxman12786

Hello,

I am wondering if there is any simplized data managent solution on the
market, or if perhaps Pro/E can even somehow handle all of our needs on
its own.

We're a small engineering group with only about 10-12 Pro/E
users. Everyone has their own projects and designs their own
parts, therefore we don't require anything that you need to check parts
into and out of, as no other users would be accessing that part
anyway. Basically all we need is somesort of integrated revision
control system.

All we need is the following:

- Some way for drawing numbers to be automatically assigned. For
example, the user selects the project the part belongs to and the next
drawing number for that project is automatically assigned.

- Revisions to automatically update in the file name and on the
drawings everytime a revision is saved. This could automatically
change the number, or simply force the user to enter a different one
that the current part has.

- A list of all current drawings and revision numbers that is automatically updated.

Does anyone know of a simple way to do this without investing in
something like Windchill? That just seems overkill for our
situation. Is there a cheaper, simplified piece of software out
there? Can Pro/E be set up to do this on it's own?

Any help is very appreciated!

Hi,

To get automatic numbering, you could use a simple toolkit. You will have to specify the function and then buythe programfrom some consultant (or PTC). It would cost you about 2-3 days worth of consulting. Technically, it will read a file that gives the next articlenumber in your sequence. Easiest (and cheapest) is if you use a standard sequence incrementing with a fixed step size (ie 1001, 1002, 1003 ...). It kicks in duringFile->New or when you Save or whenever you specify it to collect the number. I have implemented this (once) and it worked fine.

Changing the filename to include the revision. Don't know a good method really. Normallyit's a pain to rename proe files without the assistance of some data management software. If you use intralink (by PTC) you take the strain out of renaming (or duplicating to new names), but having it automatically include the revision number in the name?? Don't think so, haven't heard about it... What I would recommend is to have a fixed articlenumber and then let a DM system handle the revision. In the drawing you call out articlenumber and revision in a parameter that collects the two into one.

A list of drawings and revisions - again, it's a report function in a datamanagement system.

I have used Pro/INTRALINK for years and years and I would recommend it to anyone. In your case I'd go for the light version that stripps all the 'fancy' options.

Edited by: caddie

Hi,

If your looking for 'integrated revision control system' with 'automatic part/drawing numbering and revisioning' then for a 'cheaper, simplified piece of software' you should should take a look at DesignDataManager from CSI.

Its production proven, established data management solution with mutliple CAD intergrations, including Pro/E, SolidWorks, Inventor etc.....

Its an alternative to Pro/I.

Worth a look at www.designdatamanager.com

Best of luck

xmun thanks for the link

my current employer will not spend the money for intralink

do you know the cost of this? is there maintenance?

are you currently using this at your work? recommendation?

i think ill download it at home tonight and try it out if it works on student edition of pro

Megaladon,

Here is a good DesignDataManager reference for you...
<DIV dir=ltr align=left> [url]http://www.designdatamanager.com/customers/assets/references /reference_Caledyne.pdf[/url]</DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left></DIV>
<DIV dir=ltr align=left>There are many more on the DDM web site.</DIV>

He should do, Megaladon - he works for them!!
smiley36.gif

Advertising in the forums? Tut-tut!

Lesley

Laxman

We've recently purchased a PDM product for our Pro/E team from a company called Pulse. Wasn't that expensive compared to PDMLink. We've found that it does everything we want with reagrd to ProE file management, check in check out, auto part number generation, automatic generation of PDF and eDrawings for others to view. It also manages our ECN process, revises files automatically etc.

Their web site is www.pulseplm.com Think they have a demo you can download.

We visited one of their sites in the UK before buying. A decent site with 25 ProE seats. Check them out to see what they can do for you.

We use intralink, and are very happy with it. One important feature in PDM systems is the possibility to rename.SomePDM systems don't have this feature.

i tried installing ddm and it says i need (IIS) Internet Information Services

i havent been able to find a download for this

anyone have a link?

You can find that in control panel / add remove programs /
add remove windows components / IIS

If I remember well that is web server

We're DDM users for over a year and took this package rather than PTC solutions because of the upfront and continuing investment needed. It does have its limitations, but is it better than a windows file and folder system? By a mile. Check out the demo on the CSI website as ICE8 is doing. Try and do that with PDM link.

Definitely check out PULSE too. Our PTC VAR also recommends looking at PLM on demand, which I understand is Windchill hosted by HP.

PS We have no links other than a standardvendor/customer relationshipwith CSI.

Dave

looks like my prolem at home is I have windows XP home edition which IIS is not included (WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) gonna hafta dig out the old windows 98 machine to look at this? greedy motha $#^%$#^$ ^#%^& @%$%@% Micro$oft

Microsft USED to have a knowledge base article about how to install IIS on XP Home, but it looks like it has been removed. I know that it is possible, because I have done configured it for a friend a couple years back. You may want to try http://adamv.com/dev/articles/iis-on-xp-homeor do a simple google search for "IIS on XP Home".

Anyway, if that doesn't work and you do choose to go the 98 route, then it has PWS rather than IIS. I'm not sure how DDM works nor the protocols and configurations for PWS and IIS. Might work though...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back