Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Diferent types of competitions

Well

I show proposal for types of competition
in public, I read some answers and now I will try to explain what I mean by
them like I will do in public.

I dont think that everybody must have opportunity or
conditions for competition. I personally dont have wish to ban anybody, but....

We have rules

First of all you must know people's resources, how many free time they have, does they have ProE at home etc.

I think that one day competition is bed idea. Why? simply how you think to work out one day competition??? when it will start?, when it will finish? we all live in different time zones!
If you referring to forum time, then when it starts someone will be in night, someone in a day, someone in evening etc.
Another essential thing in one days competition, is that one day have 24h, which we spend 8 h on sleeping, 1h on traveling to work, 8h + 1h on work, 1h to traveling home, 1h for eating, and what lefts is total 4h!!!!!!!!!
So your's one day competition in real world is 4 h competition!
Another note to one day's competition is what if something bad happens on that day?, what if you must stay longer on work?, then your participating is lost!

So in short, one day competition must be out!

Speed competition
You didn't described what that means. Well that means that for finishing your model you need defined number of working hours. In other words if someone else goes to model your model then he must model it within this defined hours. That doesn't mean that participate must upload models in defined hours, they can upload models the whole week but modeling time shouldn't bee over defined hours!
For example:
Modeling theme: trash can, modeling time: max 16 hours, modeling competition starts 06.03.2006, last date for uploading models: 13.03.2006

Weeks competition
Well this is only for big models, asm etc. That means that participates have main theme, they have time to make concept, grow ideas, modeling, make presentation, and uploading here.
This means a lot of work, both participate and committee members, a lot of time to spend on working with models, concept, studies etc, and more time to examine models later in committee.

Important note: there is big difference between time for creating model, and time for uploading model!!!, and this 2 times shouldn't be mixed!!!

Another important note: you should start poll: howmuch free time per day do you have for personal modeling.
This should give you a picture howmuch time does people have for personal use of ProE, therefore for competition

If you set really tight time limit for competition then you might have little competitors, and how that would look in competition (what if of 38 000 members here only 10 goes to competition because other didn't have time for modeling? would that be nice to see that competition didn't work? and what just because of short time?)

Imperative: give people more time!!!

My vote goes to "speed" competition, it is simple, short, and you achieve everything with it.
Edited by: Isair

Mine proposal:
Over a month for advertise McadCentral's modeling competition 2006, without theme, only with start date.
Time for receiving entry's; participates infos
When start date comes, all participates received PM's and E-mails with notification, and competitions theme. In the same date on forum is announce about competitions theme.
Period for creating and uploading work (one week)
Modeling time: 18 hours (this dependson theme)
After last date, competition is closed, and then it comes voting (committee members and forum members). Period for this is one month.
Pronouncing the winer.

Edited by: Isair

I'm strongly against 24h competition!
Reasons against 24h competition:
1. you must sleep, eat, go to bathroom. and for that you need time, so lets say, that you sleep 7h, eat and everything else for another 3h so from 24h it's left 14h for work (and this is in ideal condition). What's the point in 24h competition if it last only 14h?
2. with 24h competition you will push out people who got little free time, and invite people who got a lot of free time. This isn't matter of quality, this is matter of time! For example, if someone who is very good at modeling and have no free time, he won't participate, and someone who has a little or no modeling experience, but a lot of free time, he would participate.
Result: poor models with nothing to learn (or maybe just to learn mistakes?).
3. Consider this, if you take 24h competition, and only few people participate (lets say like 10), because of short period of time would that be very successful competition? And what if on forum starts to shows threads about bad competition and organization?
Imperative is that competition sauced and have good respond, with 24h competition you minimize chance for that!
Another thing to this 24h competition, there are alway things that can happen and participate don't have control to them:
power blackout
Internet provider down, etc.

Speed competition.
You didn't understand it's concept. This what you telling about it is impossible to fulfill; Remember we all live in different time zone, and how you think to pool out that speed competition starts at the same time???????? Or you think that people would stay all night to wait to competition starts, and that they finish first with their model?
Once again, speed competition is that you give theme to people (now read carefully), then you limit their work time for theme to defined work hours, and time to upload models set to one week!.
This way if you set 18h to be working hours limit and if someone upload spaceshutle, then you know that he didn't spend 18 hours to model it, he spend much more. And if someone upload shampoo bottle then he might spend 18h on modeling shampoo bottle.
Do you see difference now Speling?

About voting time
Well ok maybe not whole month, but then this depends how many models would committee received. I agree that if you have 10 models then you don't need one moth to finish voting, but if you have 100 + models then well you need time, don't you think? As well not all member would have full time to exam and vote for models, especially if there would be a lot of modes. And if you think that 100 models if large number then if you take percent of members then it is around 0.3%

Let see what other think about this.

After long chat from last night we came to some sort agreement.
Here is summary:

There would be 2 types of competition:
a) one week competition with more challenging theme
b) 24 h competition with some simple theme

For start we will came with one week, after it finish westart with 24h.

I hope that others agree with that.

In general problem was that:
Speling thinks that 24h competition would bring challenge in fast thinking, fast reacting to problem, fast modeling, something to simulate real challenge in producing new product (although I didn't see any new product made within 24h).
He thinks that if participates would have more time for some simple model they could make a couple solutions and chose the best.
Also Spel expect that 200 member would participate in that kind of competition.

I think, and James and puppet (I hope I didn't misunderstand you guys) that 24h is bad because all people have life obligations, work etc, so they don't have time that this particular day participate.
So we think that better way is to have more time (like one week) to adjust your life obligation and competition, and in this way more people could participate, therefore more models would be uploaded, and from members who got great knowledge but lees free time.
In this case we can expect more participates than in 24h.

Both type of competition are made on assumptions, only way we can find out answers is to set up poll about free time for modeling, or in which type competition would participates rather participate (although poll areahave poorly member visits).

New day, new ideas.
After reading posts under modeling competition 2006 (pages 11, 12) I have come to conclusion that more and more people think that the best way to pool this out is to have more time for UPLOADING MODELS not for MAKING MODELS, something that we (James, puppet and me) have suggested already.
[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29 907&PN=1&TPN=11[/url]

I think that before all other rules we must set one essential; the true meaning of competition (in other words what we try to achieve trough competition):
1. popularization and more respect for McadCentral
2. quality models from we all can learn about modeling, manufacturing, concept, design etc
3. fun and challenge for users to prove their skills and enjoy in the same time
(not to simulate real working condition with a lot of stress and loosing nerves, because nobody will participate in something like that for free)

Because of that we must set poll about types for modeling competition:
a) 24h with easy theme (something like this Spoon competition)
b)18 h for modeling and 1week for uploading modelwith easy theme (vase)
c) 2 weeks for modeling and uploading modes with free choosing of theme
d) one month for modeling and uploading models with moderate theme (bicycle)

Please any toughs, and I await comments from others as well not just from Spel
smiley2.gif

Ok
After few hours of marathon chat we are back on road. Firstly I must apologize to all committee members here because I by mistake didn

Again after long and hard chat with Spel, and after reviling this information mention above we came to agreement that as we planed there should be 2 types of competition; 24h and one week competition.

In a case of 24h competition I have one idea that could help for this kind competition. Admins could arrange some sort of new web page where participate would come just before he wants to start modeling, after he log in, an E-mail has send to him with theme for competition, and clock start ticking. After participate finish and upload model, clock stops ticking and competition is over for that participate.
This way we could control how much time he spend on modeling, and everybody could have equal time for starts and finish.
All rules for using this web page would be E-mailed to participate first time when he register for competition.

What others have to say about all mention here? I see that only Spel and me talk about this stuff.

Greetings all,

I have not had time to read all the masses of postings re the
competition but I thought I could offer an enticing alternative to a
time limited competition which is difficult to police and could be seen
as unfair to some who have less available time due to other commitments.

How about introducing a feature count limit into the competition. What
can you model in 50 or 500 features. This might actually be more of a
challenge and would make people think more about how they model rather
than purely what they model.

It would also be more of a leveler, evening up the differences for a good modeller who has less time to spend.

Too many times I have seen other peoples models containing way too many features for no real reason.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

I do not agree with limiting the number of features as a criterium for good design. The above example (removed) is only 2 features, as I discovered to my horror. A revolved and a patterned cut. Try changing this model in a reliable way, or even to pick one of the parameters out of the jungle that springs forward when you hit 'modify'. Of course there is 'too much' as well as 'too little', but that shows when looking into the model, it shouldn't be a numerical criterium in its own.

Alex
Edited by: AHA-D

If that is a revolved protrusion and a circular patterned cut is would
be about 20 features. Each instance of the pattern (as well as datums)
counts as a feature.

I believe it could be done as two maybe three features but the sketch
for the axial cut is non-trivial. However a complicated sketch can be
done well and it can be done badly. Take as an example a hexagon. A
perfect hexagon can be done with a single AF dimension. I have seen
imperfect hexagons with about 7 dimensions that are a bitch to modify.

Do you want to make modifiability and stabilty a criterion for judging?

Also just because another user doesn't understand a model, doesn't make
it a bad model. I have set up highly constrained models that are not
intended to be altered by changing dimension because they are very
likely to fall over (e.g. chain sprockets) . Instead you make new
instances very easily by adding another line in the family table.

Reducing the feature count is more targetted at getting users to avoid
having unnecessary datums scattered haphazardly through the model.
Worsened when users don't name them or limit their size to a particular
area.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back