Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Help req’d with Repeat Region Relations

ADSCOTT

I have set up a repeat region in a BOM table and need to generate a 'customised' QTY column.

I need to show the following:

Bulk item quantities must be able to be shown as either:

"A/R" or BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY (user input value)

All other parts/assembles must show as:

rpt_qty

I have tried to create a repeat parameter called my_qty based on the following relation but it isn't doing what I need. Any help would be greatfully recieved.

-----------------------------------------------------

Notes:

BLANKQTYis a YES/NO parameter set in the bulk item

BOM_REPORT_QUANTITY parameter is set in the bulk item as user input

-----------------------------------------------------

IF asm_mbr_type == "BULK ITEM"

IF BLANKQTY==yes
my_qty="a/r"
ELSE
my_qty=rpt_qty
ENDIF

ELSE

my_qty=rpt_qty

ENDIF

------------------------------------------------

The simplest way to achieve what you need is to have the following relation:

IF asm_mbr_type=="BULK ITEM"
qty="A/R"
ELSE
qty=rpt_qty
ENDIF

If there is only one bulk item in the assembly, the user merely changes the qty from "A/R" to the correct quantity. If there is more than one bulk item the user adds the following relation, i.e:

IF asm_mbr_DESCRIPTION_1=="JUNK1"
qty="2"
ELSE

Make sure this relation is entered before the bulk item relation

Sorry to jump in on this one, but I'm pulling my hair out. In 2001, rpt_qty is no problem, in WF2 i get the message "Invalid symbol 'rpt_qty' found."

What am I doing wrong?? Boss is riding my but a bit on this one.

Nigel, have you tried re-reading in the drawings and tables created in 2001, saving the table and reading the saved table into WF2.

I have a repeat region relation problem I want solved.

I have a table that creates a cutting list for steel sections. For each section I embed the stock length of steel, 3.5m, 6m, 8m, 9m etc. I use table relation relations to sum each PART into total stock lengths of steel.

Is there any easy way of automatically summing total stock length of the common part sections for ALL the different part sections used in the table.

DB

ADSCOTT,

not surprising your method doesn't work. Try

IF asm_mbr_type=="BULK ITEM"
IF asm_mbr_blankqty==YES
MY_QTY = "A/R"
ELSE
MY_QTY = asm_mbr_bom_report_quantity
ENDIF
ELSE
MY_QTY = rpt_qty
ENDIF

See if that helps though I don't see why you don't get rid of blankqty and just set bom_report_quantity directly to either A/R or the actual value required. Also, when debugging try to get things working one step at a time.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Now back to my problem to see if there are any takers

View attachment 2498

I want the table to automaticaly add up and give me individual totals for the "lengths" of 100x50x5 RHS, 50x20 ms flat, 75x20 ms flat etc

DB

DB

1) Add another to your table below the repeat region

2) Select Table->Repeat Region->Summation

3) Select the region that contains the lenghts

4) Select Add fro the side menu

5)Select one of the actual length values from the region

6)Enter a name for the total parameter (e.g. TOTAL_LENGTH) (do not use an alreadyexisting parameter name.)

7) Select the cell in which to place the total value.

8) Done/Return -> Update Tables

Hope this helps.

Folks-
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but can user-defined parameters be used in relations? My problem is with handling parts in a repeat region style BOM having one or more characters that Pro/E can't handle. For example, many US military standard parts have a slash ("/") in their part number. Suppose a spring washer has part number M1213/4C-6 (this may not be a valid part number per the standard but it works for this example!). How to handle this?

By design the BOM shows the filename as the part number. For example, an MS15795-802 flat washer has filename MS15795-802.prt. The BOM reports the part number by simply dropping the file extension. But what if the part number were M1213/4C-6. Pro/E can't accept M1213/4C-6.prt as a filename because of the illegal character. In this case we make the model name M1213_4C-6.prt.

Each part has a user-defined model string parameter called MFGR_PN. By default this is a hyphen "-". For situations where the part number has one or more illegal characters, we replace the hyphen with the part number e.g. MFGR_PN would be "M1213/4C-6".

This is what I need to do:

IF MFGR_PN is not equal to "-" THEN
asm_member_name=MFGR_PN
else
asm_member_name=rel_model_name
end if

I think that "rel_model_name" is a system parameter but I'm not positive I have the syntax or spelling right.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? How exactly should the relation look to do this?
TIA
smiley1.gif

Tunalover, what you want to do is perfectly possible.

However you may want to consider doing something slightly different from what you are currently doing. Many years ago I used to use the file name as a de facto part number and ran into exactly the same problems as you mention. The problem is even greater with ECAD parts when you have to have several entirely different CAD models with identical part numbers. So now all my models now have a parameter called part_number which is always an accurate representation of the part number and this is called up instead of using &model_name.

You can even set up a relation in your start models such as

part_number = rel_model_name()

that automatically assigns the file name to your part number parameter. When you need to override it to use an "illegal" character; simply delete the relation.

DB

Eric,

I don't think you suggestion will work for me. The best I can see it doing is giving me a single total as the sum of all the "lengths"

I would like it to come up with 6 "sub-totals" because there are 6 different sections of steel involved.

DB

DB,

I guess I misunderstood your question. If you want to sum separate areas, I think they would have to be separate repeat regions. This may work for you if you create one region with a filter that lists only the 100x50x5 with it summation, another for the next size, etc. Certainly not pretty or elegant, but I believe it will work. Setting up the filters for each region to show only what you want would be the tricky part.

Hope this helps,

Eric

DB,

How bout,

create and assemble a bulk item for each sum with a matl designed to
get it to sort right below the appropriate group of parts, ie one bulk
item for 100 x 100, one bulk item for 50 x 45 ect.

then

if asm_mbr_matl == "100 x 100 x ... "

rpt_sum_100 = rpt_sum_100 + asm_mbr_lengths

end if

repeat for each group

then

if (asm_mbr_type == "BULK_ITEM" & asm_mbr_matl == "100 x 100 x ...")

asm_mbr_lengths= rpt_sum_100 /2

asm_mbr_matl = "what ever description you like for the sum line here"

end if

repeat that for each group.

when the table regenerates what SHOULD happen is each length is added
to the report variable sum_100 or whatever group, when it hits the bulk
item (last due to the sort order) it will dump its sum (divided
in two because it will be added to itself in the first if/then,
alternately you can check for NOT being a bulk item in the first set of
if/thens) and that will be displayed on the line of the table
inserted for the bulk item itself. I must admit I do not know if
changing the matl parameter to get a description of the sum line will
screw with the sorting or with the relation.

I cant think of anyother way to do something like this though.
Even two or more tables would be a pain if you change the
number items made from each material. This method should handle
that though.

HTH (or even makes sense!)

Stuart

Stuart,

thanks for the great suggestion. By using

rpt_sum_100 = rpt_sum_100 + asm_mbr_lengths/2

it totals correctly instead of doubling but I am having problems with reporting the total in the right place.

I think I will create another column to the right to report the total which should make life easier. Will post again with a picture if and when I get it working acceptably.

thanks again.

DB

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back