Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

64-bit question

jfixsen

We just got a 64-bit machine and are looking to install WF3.0 on it. Our other 32-bit machines are all running WF3.0 build M090. Would you suggest that we run the same build on our 64-bit machine, or should we go with the "latest greatest" build? Anyone have any somewhat proven 64-bit builds they are using with WF3.0? Thanks!
Edited by: jfixsen

Hello
smiley1.gif

Have you a WINDOWS XP for 64bit? (I use Vista64, but y really had too many problems with this SO and hardware)

you will not have problem with WF3 (32bits) and Windows XP (64bits). I used this configuration for 2 years.

you will have problems to print only, not to have to driver. I have not had other problems

In VISTA 64 bits you will have problems with video card drivers that have no CAD specific configurations like they have to WINXP64bits.

We made lots of tests around this and we realized that the best thing for now is stay in XP64bits, in some tests we had 56% more performance with XP.

My fear is that Windows7 is going in the same way of VISTA...

We are running XP, and I talked to one of my friends from another company and he told me that they have 3 64-bit machines and are running WF3.0M170 and haven't had any issues really. We ended up installingM200, but will go back to M170 if we start having issues. The main thing that we are seeing now is that machine is having problems connecting to the network drives because they aren't capable of handling it I guess. That's what our IT guys say anyway. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

XP64 does not fall. It can work perfectly with great assemblies (more than 600 parts).

It works with but of 3gb of ram.
I have clients who use XP32 and have problems with the right button of the mouse; in XP64 everything works well.

The problems of video in VISTA64 mentioned by roocky are real.

The problem of network mentioned by jfixsen is of drivers, in motherboards of high level never I had problems of drivers.

I am very happy working with XP64 from 2006
smiley4.gif
. Now work with VISTA64 and I regret it to have updated
smiley19.gif
. It will try with Windows7 64

My computer is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
4Gb RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64(that it does not serve for anything)
2 monitor DELL 22"
2 NVIDIA 7600 (not SLI because VISTA not is supported)
M2N-SlI Deluxe

Hi ,
I am working with ProE Wf3 version 64 bit installed in XP 64 bit.
So, I think is not so important the release that you are using ( it happened that a new release had more bugs than the old one).
Win XP 64 is useful if you have a computer with 4GB RAM or more, if not you don't get any performance because XP 32 bit or Vista or Win7 cannot use more than 3GB RAM, (sometime 3,2).
ProE 32 bit will work fine on 32 bit system, but the ProE version designed for 64 bit will be able to use the all power of a 64 bit system, so ProE 64 bit will be able to send information on the computer, to processor, etc, using all the power of 64 bit,
ProE 32 installed on 64 bit OS will allways send information in the same way as in a 32 bit Windows, through the "ability", that XP 64 has to "understand" 32 bit application.
More, there is no incompatibility for the files created on 64 bit when are opened on a ProE 32

I installed Wf3 64 bit version on Windows 7 64 bit and till now I didn't note any problem, it looks like Window 7 is a little light than Vista.
What I don't like on Vista and Win7 is the sharing of the Video card memory is managed by SO and I cannot limit, or control the amount that video card are using, in this way the RAM will be used as OS wants without any chance to manage it.

I'm running WF4 64bit (I know this may not help you) on Vista 64 Ultimate and have had a significant number of problems. Because of Vistas stupid security layers (even as admin) my copy of proe has write permission problems to it's boot directory and therefore won't load config.pro files at startup. Vista has been giving me problems all over the place, mostly trying to get the programs I use daily installed and working right. Before I bought Vista I installed a copy of windows 7 and had no problems what so ever. It was fast, all my apps installed and worked right off the bat, and it had none of the video and sata raid issues that I've seen with Vista. The big problem is that windowes 7 will perminantly expire as it is a non release beta so I couldn't take the chance on an unsupported OS for my main work machine. If you can hold out I would wait till windows 7 is released. I'm sorry I didn't.

Hello,
we have WF3 M120 on Windows XP 64 and it works very well. The main advantage of 64 bits is the abitily to go up than 3go RAM (8Go on our computers).

Have you guys had any issues being able to close Pro/E on the 64-bit machine? When we have Pro/E open and launch ALGOR, it seems to think that there is still a connection with Pro/E and won't close even after closing ALGOR. We are running it on a XP64 platform. We have a Pro/User meeting next week, so I've got a long list of questions for the PTC guy flying in.

I'm not surprised you are having problems with AL GORE. He seems to think he invented the internet and is on a global warming quest for his own personal gain.

Sorry...I couldn't resist!

Now that's funny. I'm disappointed that I never put the whole ALGOR and AL GOREthing together myself! I can't wait to tell our FEA guy now.

Well, since I don't really know what ALGOR is the connection to AL GORE immediately popped into my head. Glad you liked it.

so to the original questions, is anyone currently running successfully WF3.0 on a Windows Vista 64 bit system?

Edited by: Brianh

If you read the previous page you will see that a few of the posters are, as well as what the pitfalls of running it on Vista are.

Been working for over a year with WF2 on XP 64 and never had any real problems, even with assemblies that took up to 8GB. Had 10Gb RAM in a HP XW8200
Now working with WF4 on XP 64, and things run smooth on a HP Z600 with 6Mb ram ( upgrading soon to 12GB) and on a HP XW8200.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back