Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using API with Catia

bshonk

I've been asked to take a 3D computed tomography scan and input that into CATIA using an API. I have found it quite difficult to find out any information on using API with CATIA. Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

My CATIA's API documentation is installed here: C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B22doc\English\online\CAAScdBase\CAAScdAutomationHome.htm. To view CATIA's API documentation, which should have been installed with CATIA, press F1 then navigate to Part Design > Part Design Reference > Indexes > Master Index. This Master Index lists all of the properties, methods, and objects that are exposed to automation. You could also go to Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor. Then go to View > Object Browser or just hit F2. This lets you view the various members of different classes in the available libraries. If it's not in here (the API documentation), it can't (without extraordinary measures) be automated without CAA/RADE. You'll probably need a CAA license to automate the input/translation of a 3D scan natively into CATIA. Depends on what you're trying to do though. If the information is already stored in an stl file you may be able to do what you're attempting.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back