Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Wildfire 3.0 ???

VW's are fine, they're just not quite up there with BMW's, AUDI's,
smiley2.gif
etc. It was in reference to the German car comment.
Edited by: scottm

We don't drive those type of cars up here "12 miles from lake tahoe". Those cars are fine if you live in the city but then they also never take their suv's off road either?

smiley36.gif

Wow - nice threadjack with the switch to German cars!
smiley36.gif

The only significant difference between VW's and Audi's are that some
of the VW's are built in Mexico and that tends to cause poor quality
control in those cars. VW New Beetles, Jettas, and Golfs are
Mexi-cars, while the Passat is made in Germany. I'm not sure
about the Touraeg or Phateon, but I'm guessing they are Germany
produced given the cost of those vehicles.

Oh - and cncwhiz, there was a competition held recently where several
vehicles were driven up a very challenging ski slope on a steep
mountain. In the mix were a bunch of SUV's and AWD
vehicles. Except for one vehicle, they all got stuck at some
point along the way, even "off-road" SUV's that one would think would
have no problems. The winner, and only candidate to climb all the
way too the top --> Audi Allroad.

What was the topic of this thread.....ahh...ommm..lets see here.....oh ya, Wildfire 3.0. That must be slang for what car I drive.

I have to admit, I got caught up in the wrong topic as well. It kind of pushes button with me on the topic of service here in the U.S. It just seems that companies around here could care less about customer service or even the product or service they provide at times. Examples: Cable companies, Phone Companies, Power companies, Gas Companies, ect.... The everyday services all seem to be about the buck.

Wildfire 3.0 is most likely a bug fixer or maybe a version to hide some more features that we have to go find and learn all over again, who knows.

Phoxeoy - You nailed it on the head, it's all about profit margin. Competitive market place has driven it there.

Only places you get truly good customer service are the various Mom
& Pop shops. Not a lot left, but the ones that are left I
support, even if their prices are slightly higher.

I still don't see a big problem in tech support as compared to Rand? For a long time tech support has been like flipping a coin? I do think that the webex helps. I have a open case with ptc that they have had for over a week. I think I might post it here? I use wildfire and 2001 everyday as that intralink is still 2001. Even doing it on a daily basas is a pain in the ass. I hope they don't make more dumb changes in 3.0 like they did in 2.0 "pan, zoom...". I tink if they want to give us a better build they should bring back "make datum". We also do some casting work here and some of it is reverse engineering, we would like to see a "sand" feature.

smiley2.gif

cncwhiz

If you read my post you would see that beloved "datum on fly" is back in WF3.0 and it is even enhanced compared to 2001 in following 2 ways:

1-You can delete feature and still keep the plane

2-Can be referenced outside of the original feature if you decide to drag it out of it

They are bringing back make the datum on the fly for WF 3.0, which was not in WF 1.0 or 2.0.
smiley4.gif

Now, the 'sand' feature.... I don't know if they'll have that, but they do have a 'B.S.' feature.
smiley9.gif

And yes, compared to Rand tech. support - anything is better than that!!!

Maybe I don't understand your Datum on the fly. I have always been able to create a datum in the middle of creating a feature. I just click on the datum icon when I want to do it. Is this not the same thing or are you talking about something alse?

Datum on the fly did not create a group which is what happens when you create a datum in the middle of creating a feature in WF1 & 2. Also, the datum dimensions would show up for editing along with the rest of the feature dimensions. Now the datum is automatically hidden and you can't see its dimensions unless you expand the group in the model tree and pick on the datum.

To get back on the original topic, anybody know when WF3 is going to be released?

cncwhiz

Sand?

I advertised a class almost 10 years ago as ' Pro/SANDPAPER' PTC made me quite calling it that. IT was basicly a 1995 high end surfacing workshop.

If you are in business then it follows that you support the cost of
business. It applies to all of us, and software is no different.

cheers,

Cello

The latest according to my (internal PTC) sourcesis the ProE WF3 is backwards compatible to ProE WF2 only.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />//Peter

<H1 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Here is what I got at the yearly user meeting from a PTC guy:</H1>
<H1 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Wildfire 3.0 New Functionality</H1>
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">General Modeling</H2>
<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">New user interface now expanded to swept blend function.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Pattern along a curve by spacing, not just number of instances</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Pattern of a pattern functionality</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Fill patterns can be projected onto non-flat surfaces.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Reference pattern now has a preview. Individual instances of it can be de-selected.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Datums created on-the-fly are embedded into features (parallel to the sketch). They are not grouped with the feature.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l5 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">New partial shell functionality. Certain areas of a shelled surface can be exempted. For example, where a handle meets the rest of a pitcher. The inside of the pitcher can be shelled while the handle remains solid.</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Sketcher</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in">New sketcher palette. </LI>
<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" =circle>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo2; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Standard polygon shapes included</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo2; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Can be dragged and dropped</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level2 lfo2; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Can include user defined sketches</LI>[/list]
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in">More dimensional control of sketched text. Can dimension from multiple points of text.</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Sheetmetal</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in">Full Wildfire user interface for flat and extruded walls</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in">Automatic miter cut option for flange walls that extend over multiple flat walls (i.e. around a corner)</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in">Automatically extend/trim options on flange walls</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in">Sheetmetal cut is now a full Wildfire style extrude. This consolidation the stand alone extruded cut in Sheetmetal</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Assembly</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">Assembly U/I now is in the dashboard</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">Drag handles on screen for any offset dimensions to drag component</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">Can set joint axis limits in assembly, no need to go into MDX</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">Snapshots can be created in assembly mode, no need to go to mechanism</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">Real time collision detection in assembly mode when moving jointed mechanism</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">Merge, cutout, & inheritance features are now together in one interface. Some conversion between the types in available</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">NC</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo4; tab-stops: list .5in">New Wildfire interface comes to NC</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Photorender</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo4; tab-stops: list .5in">Drag and place lights. Lights can be repositioned on screen by dragging.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo4; tab-stops: list .5in">New Scene Palette allows saving the entire room definition including lights</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo4; tab-stops: list .5in">Advanced render extension connected to Lightworks website for incorporation of objects directly from site.</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Drawings</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">Shaded views now available on drawings as a drawing view</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">Tables exportable as csv format, import coming in WF 4.0.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">Pushbutton export of drawings as a pdf file.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Adobe distiller not required</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">PDF will have searchable text</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Can make measurements in the pdf.</LI>[/list][/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Data Exchange</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">Can open native WF 2.0 parts in Wildfire 3.0</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Features in model will be read-only</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Can see features and parameters in model</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">Can add additional features</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in">These new features can be grafted back into the 3.0 model in WF 3.0</LI>[/list][/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">3-D Drawings</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">Full Y14.41 support expected in Wildfire 4.0. Nothing new really talked about</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Mechanica</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">Single consolidated material file used throughout ProE & Mechanica</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in">New XML based process guide links users to the definition steps required for analysis without going to the top level interface (loads, constraints, units, etc)</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Data management</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l4 level1 lfo6; tab-stops: list .5in">Offline workspaces expected in 8.0 release of PDMLink (Intralink?). This would allow export out of an entire workspace for off line work and re-importation when done.</LI>[/list]
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Dates</H2>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l4 level1 lfo6; tab-stops: list .5in">Pre-production in late spring. Expected to run off a WF 2.0 license.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l4 level1 lfo6; tab-stops: list .5in">Full production release in late summer or early fall.</LI>[/list]

Sounds Good! looking forward to it!
<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Data Exchange</H2>
<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" ="disc">
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level1 lfo5; tab-stops: list .5in" ="Msonormal">Can open native WF 2.0 parts in Wildfire 3.0
<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0in" ="circle">
<LI style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l3 level2 lfo5; tab-stops: list 1.0in" ="Msonormal">Features in model will be read-only </LI>[/list]</LI>[/list]
Can you explain this? does this mean that you cannot modify the features of a part created in WF2.0 in WF3.0? maybe I'm missing something?

James

Is it me on is this to be expected

<H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt"></H2>
"Can open native WF 2.0 parts in Wildfire 3.0 "

Preproduction is out.
smiley32.gif

I could download the Preproduction last night. It looks nice. But i haven't got the time to test yet.

/M

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back