Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3D SOLID OF A JAW!!

nhelio69

HI EVERYONE!!

I'M CURRENTLY A STUDENT ENGINEERING AND FOR ONE OF MY CLASES WE'VE BEEN ASKED TO RUN A FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS ON A JAW OF ANY KIND, BE IT HUMAN OR AN ANIMAL ONE! OUR PROFESSOR TOLD US TO GO ONLINE AND FIND ANY MODEL TO USE.

THE PROBLEM WE'RE FACING IS FINDING A SOLID 3D MODEL OF ONE!! ALL WE HAVE FOUND ARE ARTISTIC .DXF MODELS WHICH WHEN OPENED ON PRO\E ARE PRACTICALLY USELES EXCEPT FOR VIEWING!!
smiley5.gif
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE WE CAN FIND ONE MODEL SUCH AS A HUMAN SKULL, MAYBE FROM THE MEDICINE COMMUNITY, OR HOW TO USE THE .DXF MODELS AS SOLIDS WHICH CAN BE ALTERED OR MANIPULATED IN PRO\E!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
smiley2.gif

I am interested to know why Engineering Profs these days ask for such a thing?

1.A jaw is not really a "simple" object to run an FEA on.

2. Do you guys have FEA software constantly at your disposal? It will be an intense analysis when you finally do get one because it will most likey will come in Iges as a second gen STL from MRI data.

3. FEA programs typically run better with the models "dumbed" down which requires a native files usually. A Iges or Step file will be non-modifiable I would think.

It seems odd to have a Prof ask for an object that may not be public domain or is very difficult to find. What is the point of having to solicit the community for the object? The prof definitely can't prove or disprove the results unless he has the model to interrogate. He is not going to do this for everyone will he/she?

Goofy to me.

sometimes I think proffesors assign tasks more to determine ones industrius-ness, and problem solving skills rather than verifying numbers... ANYWAY- I do recall seeing a 3D model of a skull, or a skeleton some where, some time- try synthx.com. If it wasnt there, perhaps someone can direct you.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back